I need some help regarding my UAC applications. (1 Viewer)

Starryeyeskibye

HSC
So I’m a year 12 student and I just recently applied on UAC ( after procrastinating) and they’ve basically told me that my application may not be as successful since I haven’t proved my English proficiency. This would make sense if I was an international student or in the EALD classes. However I’ve stopped being an ESL student in year 5 and I’m and Australian citizen who has been living in Australia for 10+ years. I am also taking the extension 2 English course. Any advice or help would be really really appreciated since I’m in the dark about this and I don’t even know why I’ve been listed as an ESL student.

Attachments

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not sure what minimum standards are but

English language proficiency (ELP) is an admission requirement for most tertiary courses offered through UAC. However, most people – including those with an Australian Year 12 qualification – do not have to do anything extra to prove their proficiency. Their qualification will be used as evidence.

I'm pretty sure my English language requirement was not satisfied until after I completed my HSC, implying the Australian Year 12 qualification - the Higher School Certificate.

Maybe you're in a similar situation?

Leadmen4y

HSC
Yes I did and I passed them, can that be evidence of English proficiency?
Yeah my careers teacher was talking about how it's required, though since you've done it and passed I have no idea why. I recommend checking with your teachers.
I'm not sure what minimum standards are but

English language proficiency (ELP) is an admission requirement for most tertiary courses offered through UAC. However, most people – including those with an Australian Year 12 qualification – do not have to do anything extra to prove their proficiency. Their qualification will be used as evidence.

I'm pretty sure my English language requirement was not satisfied until after I completed my HSC, implying the Australian Year 12 qualification - the Higher School Certificate.

Maybe you're in a similar situation?
Though it's strange that I do not know anyone as everyone who applied that I know of in my school don't have this issue including myself, even though I haven't obtained my year 12 qualification yet.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Though it's strange that I do not know anyone as everyone who applied that I know of in my school don't have this issue including myself, even though I haven't obtained my year 12 qualification yet.
This is interesting indeed.

I'm just having a second look at the link I included and found this:

For most institutions, you do not need to provide proof of English language proficiency if you have an assessable qualification – undertaken in English – from one of the following countries.

Then it lists several English-speaking countries (including Australia). After this, it lists assessable qualifications that can be obtained from the countries listed that satisfy the English language requirement:
  • senior secondary studies, comparable with the NSW HSC (including the IB Diploma or Bilingual Diploma)
  • one full year of Australian or comparable tertiary studies, including associate degree, bachelor degree and postgraduate studies
  • Australian non-award studies
  • tertiary preparation courses, including the NSW TAFE Tertiary Preparation Certificate (TPC), with a full-time equivalence of one year.

Leadmen4y

HSC
This is interesting indeed.

I'm just having a second look at the link I included and found this:

For most institutions, you do not need to provide proof of English language proficiency if you have an assessable qualification – undertaken in English – from one of the following countries.

Then it lists several English-speaking countries (including Australia). After this, it lists assessable qualifications that can be obtained from the countries listed that satisfy the English language requirement:
  • senior secondary studies, comparable with the NSW HSC (including the IB Diploma or Bilingual Diploma)
  • one full year of Australian or comparable tertiary studies, including associate degree, bachelor degree and postgraduate studies
  • Australian non-award studies
  • tertiary preparation courses, including the NSW TAFE Tertiary Preparation Certificate (TPC), with a full-time equivalence of one year.
maybe OP didn't use her school details? I can't remember what I had to fill in but pretty sure NESA number was one, which probably gave UAC the level of studies you're doing including the subjects you're undertaking, hence by not providing those info UAC wouldn't know if OP is proficient even though she's doing 4u lmao

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
maybe OP didn't use her school details? I can't remember what I had to fill in but pretty sure NESA number was one, which probably gave UAC the level of studies you're doing including the subjects you're undertaking, hence by not providing those info UAC wouldn't know if OP is proficient even though she's doing 4u lmao
You can apply through UAC without providing them with your NESA number?

I remember when I applied through UAC, it automatically mentioned that I'm a year 12 student in the qualifications section, and I'm pretty sure it listed the school I went to as well.

I can't seem to remember the application process quite well, but wasn't the application number that you use as login credentials along with your PIN basically the same as your NESA number?

Leadmen4y

HSC
You can apply through UAC without providing them with your NESA number?

I remember when I applied through UAC, it automatically mentioned that I'm a year 12 student in the qualifications section, and I'm pretty sure it listed the school I went to as well.

I can't seem to remember the application process quite well, but wasn't the application number that you use as login credentials along with your PIN basically the same as your NESA number?
Yeah, it's just your nesa with the number 1 in front of it. OP should get a satisfactory answer from her teachers though

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, it's just your nesa with the number 1 in front of it. OP should get a satisfactory answer from her teachers though
Guess my memory isn't that bad after all haha.

Yeah, OP definitely check with your teachers and if needed, contact UAC directly.

image (7).jpg

All the best! :D

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Attaining Band 8 in NAPLAN in all literacy & numeracy sections is also a prerequisite. Did you miss the NAPLAN assessment in Yr 9?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)