I need your help ! (1 Viewer)

BigBadBader

HSC
in my 5 years of High school i have never ever studied. Ever.

now year 12 comes past and i realise that im behind, not in content but in strategy.

i do general maths, standard english, IPT, SDD, and ITVET.

now, how do i study for them?
i got maths and english under control. eg. for maths i printed of the syllabus listing the topics i need to do. so i sit done and work my way down.

now, for the IT subjects i dont know what to study. Can someone guide me please?

thanks,
Bader

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
First of all, i am so very jealous of your subjects. I was only able to do SDD but if i had to do the HSC again i'd have definitely done IPT and ITVET through tafe.

SDD, and i assume the other IT subjects, are fairly heavy on content in a way. It cant hurt to make notes based on the syllabus. But for software design you also need to be good with algorithms for high marks, i was (am) pretty good with them but a lot of people just struggle with them and the only way to become better at them is to either practise them or do programming outside of school.

I believe there are some overlaps between IPT and SDD, and you might even find them with ITVET too. Off the top of my head the structured project approach and stuff like methods of implementation plus all the various diagrams. If you become familiar with them it's kind of like killing two birds with one stone.

BigBadBader

HSC
yeh, i did notice the overlap of IPT and SDD.

so i should practice algorithms? that like pseudo code and flowcharts? if so im "OK" with them.

thanks, and one more thing, i see that you are doing ICT engineering and business at UTS, what is that?? what do you do? and what career options are available? ty

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Yeah, pseudo code and flow charts are a common spot to lose marks with in exams. If you have no problems with them, then just make syllabus notes and answer textbook questions. Good job trying to remedy your lack of studying/strategy though lol! I went through all of year 12 without regularly revising/studying until right before exams and it really does hinder your performance as you just don't have time to hit the past papers which are the best form of exam preparation.

As for ICT Engineering and Business, well ICT is an all encompassing major for a few different fields (Software, Computer Systems and Telecom). What i am doing is pretty much just called Software Engineering at other unis. The business component of the combined degree is fairly open - you can do whatever you like, i intended on doing a major like management to compliment the other degree but i'm reconsidering it in favour of getting electives, entering the work force earlier and doing an MBA later. Lots of career options available but all in the IT and software engineering segments.

BigBadBader

HSC
okay, thanks xD

i want to do something like that, im interested in Software and Networking.

@jarrod, im thinking of getting premium. do you recommend it?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Also worth looking into Bachelor of Science in IT at UTS, similiar kind of stuff but not as technical and you dont have to do all the engineering-y subjects and maths etc. Since you are only just starting year 12 now, plenty of time to think about the co op scholarship version of it too - Bacehlor of IT.

jarrodoliver1

HSC
okay, thanks xD

@jarrod, im thinking of getting premium. do you recommend it?
For your subjects, premium isn't really worth it. There are only notes on general math and sdd. The software notes haven't helped me thus far, although i haven't really looked at them. I found that it is alot more beneficial to write my own notes, it sticks in my head better and i actually occasionally enjoy it. If you have the money, go for it though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)