• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

i.t jobs and uni (1 Viewer)

SEAKING

HSC
N/A
is maths required for i.t jobs/uni??
didnt get much help in i.t forum so can someone answer please!!

a simple yes or no answer will do fine

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
if you want to do IT in uni, then youll definitely need maths...at least mathematics 2 unit, bu recommendation of maths ext 1

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
im not sure about jobs, so youll have to ask someone who currently has an IT job, but thats all i know from a university perspective.

you could always do a bridging course just before uni starts

SEAKING

HSC
N/A
O.K thanks for the info, i'll look into bridging courses.

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
well my course is IT and business and i havent used any math yet, and i did math 2U + math ext at high school. I know people doing computer science with general maths, but they do struggle with math121 which from what ive seen looks like math ext.

Hamishw

HSC
I'm currently doing Computer Science at UWS and mate you REALLY need to do 2 Unit Maths or higher if you want to do really good. UWS tells us to do Discrete Maths, which is assumed that the student has go above a band 4 in 2 unit or higher. If you did Gen. Maths then you will need to do an intensive bridging course which will give you a basic idea about how to solve the questions in Discrete Mathematics.

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
I dont do discrete maths but isnt that the only math course in comp science anyway?? there aint much maths in IT.

Hamishw

HSC
NO NO NO way, there is a Second year subject called Formal Methods which assumes that you have a good grasp of the last 4 weeks of Discrete Mathematics. Furthermore if you are going to major in Programming or Networking then there is more maths to come. The subjects may not explectily be mathematics, but the subjects you do have a heavy emphasis on Mathematics.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)