• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Ideal marks for Maths...? (1 Viewer)

cs01001

HSC
What are the ideal marks a student should aim for for the 2u & 3U maths tests in Year 11? I am aksing about marks that would set them in a good position to succeed in Year 12 & the HSC? Well, we all know 100% would be awesome ...but in general speaking, what do Year 11's normally get in their exams?

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Depends on your school, and class. Marks in my class range from 60 to 100%.

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
In viewpoint of the HSC, your ideal marks naturally should stem from the ability of your class and school, as Kujah has mentioned. You should be aiming for perhaps 90%+ in 2u, and maybe 85%+ in 3u, in response to your question about what would set you up in a good position for the HSC. Since up to 30% of preliminary mathematics can be tested in the HSC, these marks would be preferable, if of course not completely unrealistic. These 'ideal' marks would also probably be idealistic relative to the rest of the grade/class. That is, you could be expecting something lower, only because the test was very hard.

Neurox

HSC
in my class marks range from 30%-100%. if your aiming for getting into 4u maths, then you should be getting ideally 60+ in ur 3u tests, depending on difficulty. but dont worry if u get shit marks. i know people who failed 3u maths tests in yr 11 at the start, but still got into 4u maths by trying harder.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
I've been doing much better this year than last year, most likely because I've got my ass into gear.

Used to get 80s or so in 2 Unit, but am now ranked 1st (unless those in 4 Unit drop down, gulp!). 3 Unit I used to borderline fail or pass, but the last assessment I got 75%, could have been in the 80s if not for stupid mistakes in my best known topic.

Just to show that you can go from average/poor Y11 marks to pretty good Y12 marks. You just need to put in the hard yards. Honestly though, I wish I'd started earlier as I'm going to have to backtrack majorly to be ready for the HSC.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
ATM i have been getting 85%.......which is just crap:bomb:

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Neurox said:
in my class marks range from 30%-100%. if your aiming for getting into 4u maths, then you should be getting ideally 60+ in ur 3u tests, depending on difficulty. but dont worry if u get shit marks. i know people who failed 3u maths tests in yr 11 at the start, but still got into 4u maths by trying harder.
Ours is 15%-100%.

People suck, i dont know why.

cccclaire

HSC
Its more about rank I think, I got only 73% in the last maths test I did, but it was also 2nd in the year and 2% lower than the top mark.

cs01001

HSC
cccclaire said:
Its more about rank I think, I got only 73% in the last maths test I did, but it was also 2nd in the year and 2% lower than the top mark.
That a 3U test?

umop 3pisdn

Banned
HSC
Internally rank is more important than mark... the ideal mark is 1 greater than the next highest :D

Prelim doesn't count... except in your head, to put it one way. Which is important.

In 2 unit marks of 90-100 are quite achievable up until the very end of the course by anyone who makes an effort (I'd always miss on the hundred out by silly mistakes in 1 or 2 questions!)

In 3 unit don't be put off (don't give up, especially) if it's a bit lower, or even a lot lower, you'll get better

It can depend a lot on your school, eg. apparently Catholic schools use really tough tests.

cccclaire

HSC
cs01001 said:
That a 3U test?
no 2u, I'm doing an 'accelerated' course but not really. Rather than starting it in year 10 (like most schools do) we're just cramming the whole two years of 2u into year 11 so we can sit the HSC at the end of it. And then we don't start any 3u til year 12, and then in year 12 we do the whole 2 year 3u course in one year.
its rather complicated and basically irrelevent.

The point of my post however was, that marks don't count, only rank does.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Oh my. I'm real screwed now. My rank is crap as, or so I feel it is. My first test I'm pretty sure I screwed up real bad ! ><"

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
Oh my. I'm real screwed now. My rank is crap as, or so I feel it is. My first test I'm pretty sure I screwed up real bad ! ><"
dont stress too much yet...youre doing preliminary so its basically a 'dress rehearsel' of the hsc year
learn from this year, so that you can apply it next year and do much better

Evergreen

HSC
i screwed up my first 3u exam as well. but it was only 15%. you can EASILY make up for that by doing well in the next 85%. it seems im really bad at algebra, but the half yearlies are gonna be a mix of algebra, trig and graphs, which im good at.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
jemsta said:
dont stress too much yet...youre doing preliminary so its basically a 'dress rehearsel' of the hsc year
learn from this year, so that you can apply it next year and do much better
yeah im not making that much of a big deal out of it, its just very intimidating with the class and all ..

-pari-

HSC
N/A
depends on your school as well i think...

our 2u exams tend to be daym hard - often harder than the 3u exams, as admitted by 3u students.

so, for eg, in my first assessment i only got around 80% and that still got me in the top 20/68 rank. admittedly not great, but for 80% the rank is surprising, i think...

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
I've only had one Maths assessment so far, and that was 2U. Surprisingly I got full marks and came first in it, but my teacher suggests that everyone in the 3U class should be getting 80%+ in the 2U assessments to stay in the course.

I guess it varies on how hard your assessments are depending on your school, but personally I'm just following my teacher's suggestions and am aiming for 80%+ :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)