• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

ideally what internal marks do you have to be getting for a 90-95+ Atar? (1 Viewer)

v.tex

HSC
My school gets on average 35-40/45 band sixes a year. Not sure its exact rank.

What marks should i be getting on average for my subjects in internals?

My subjects are

Math Extension- Usually my school gets around 4 band sixes a year for this subject

English Advanced- Most of the band sixes come here.

Earth- Don’t think we have got a band six in this subject since like 2016/2017 am i cooked 💀 should i drop?

Math advanced- Also, a lot of band sizes come from this subject for the schools total.

Physics- School hasn’t got a band six since like 2019/2020 💀

Economics- Think the last time someone got a band six in this was in 2022.

What would be a general idea of the interval marks I would need to be getting for around a 90-95 ATAR.
Somehow a girl in 2023 only got 2 band sixes and got like a 98 Atar. Think she got an 89 in chem so i guess that scaled her up a lot.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Essentially, the marks that you achieve in your school-based assessment tasks/exams only serve to determine your ranks in your subjects. They have no significance beyond this and beyond helping you identify areas of improvement relevant to the content of each subject. As such, you need to consider the approximate ranks relative to your cohort that you should be attaining in your subjects that would reflect a level of performance consistent with a 90-95+ ATAR.

Generally speaking, an ATAR in the low 90's range can be achieved with a combination of overall HSC marks in the band 5/E3 and band 6/E4 ranges, whereas achieving an ATAR in the mid to high 90's range would require most or all overall HSC marks to be in the band 6/E4 range, although it may still be achievable with some high band 5's/E3's (especially in higher scaling subjects), such as the example you provided.

In terms of the ranks needed to be on track with your target ATAR, considering past performance at your school, it would be reasonable to suggest that, ideally, you should aim to rank as high as possible across your subjects. This, coupled with favourable HSC exam performance, will maximise your chances of achieving your ATAR goal. You can determine the marks that you would need in your assessment tasks/exams to secure high ranks based on your knowledge of your cohort as well as by asking your teachers. Of course, the notion of performing at the highest possible standard for the best chance of achieving your ATAR goal still applies. It is also important to note that past cohort performance only serves as an indication of your cohort's potential standard of performance. It does not limit your own performance. For instance, failure to achieve a band 6 in Earth and Environmental Science would not be due to past cohort performance, but due to insufficient study/preparations that would in turn lead to lower performance (resulting in both lower internal ranks and inferior HSC exam performance).

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)