Identifying Ions (1 Viewer)

lisarh

HSC
this is a qu in some sheet

a soln was known to contain either sodium carbonate or sodium chloride. samples of the soln gave bubbles of gas with HNO3 but no ppt with AgNO3. which of the anoins is present?

Well, its obviously carbonate ions right? but i dnt get how it does not form a ppt with AgNO3, i thought it could

confused

shady145

Banned
HSC
this is a qu in some sheet

a soln was known to contain either sodium carbonate or sodium chloride. samples of the soln gave bubbles of gas with HNO3 but no ppt with AgNO3. which of the anoins is present?

Well, its obviously carbonate ions right? but i dnt get how it does not form a ppt with AgNO3, i thought it could

confused
do u remember your solubility rules??? most carbonates are insoluble except for group 1 carbonates. sodium is in gruop 1, therefore it is soluble and therefore no precipitate is formed. and all nitrates are soluble. yes it is carbonate.

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I can't wait to start Year 12 chemistry... it sounds fun from what I hear and the kids in my Year 12 say there is lots of practical. ^_^

shady145

Banned
HSC
I can't wait to start Year 12 chemistry... it sounds fun from what I hear and the kids in my Year 12 say there is lots of practical. ^_^
yea its alright but i prefer the space topic in physics, its sexy

4lettersdown

HSC
yeah, doing HSC physics and chem right now, have to say that physics is better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)