Ideology and Belief Systems! (1 Viewer)

Purples

HSC
I'm still unsure of the meaning of Ideology. What is the difference between ideology and belief system? What are some of the characteristics of each? Thanks.

Examples would be great! :spin:

Sadiah

HSC
I'm still unsure of the meaning of Ideology. What is the difference between ideology and belief system? What are some of the characteristics of each? Thanks.

Examples would be great! :spin:
Ideology, in general usage, refers to the body of doctrine, myths and symbols of a social movement, a social class or institution. Many sociologists use the term with particular reference to the set of beliefs, attitudes and/or practices that overtly or covertly serve the interests of one particular group, government or social class as opposed to serving universal interests.

On the other hand, a belief system refers to a shared system of beliefs and values that systematically define a way of percieving the social, cultural, physical and psychological world. I.e. Islam

EDIT: Source: Society and Culture Syllabus

Purples

HSC
But aren't belief systems also a body of doctrine, myths and symbols.

So, from the meanings given, ideology refers to beliefs only intending to serve those of the social class, whereas belief systems are the opposite?

Sadiah

HSC
But aren't belief systems also a body of doctrine, myths and symbols.

So, from the meanings given, ideology refers to beliefs only intending to serve those of the social class, whereas belief systems are the opposite?
Nah the two concepts are not opposite - they are linked in a way. Like..look, a belief system is like a whole system of beliefs, whereas, an ideology is not entirely a system of beliefs followed by a certain population, but merely is like a visionary theorization, say like a set of ideas or something.

Kinda difficult to explain, but nevertheless, you need not worry coz I hereby guarantee you that there will be no question such as "Differentiate between ideology and belief system" asked in the exam.

However, if your seeking to gain beneficial knowledge as for general reasons or for a better understanding of your subject matter, I suppose you should simply ask your teacher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)