If I Do Better in External... (1 Viewer)

Woodgreen1

HSC
N/A
If you score 95 in your external exam, which is also the highest raw mark in your school for that subject, your internal rank and assessment mark will rise to match your external raw HSC mark, and vice versa. You will keep your raw mark, as it will not be awarded to the highest-ranked internal student simply because you scored higher.

carrotsss

HSC
If you score 95 in your external exam, which is also the highest raw mark in your school for that subject, your internal rank and assessment mark will rise to match your external raw HSC mark, and vice versa. You will keep your raw mark, as it will not be awarded to the highest-ranked internal student simply because you scored higher.
if they’re not first internally then no, even if they come first in the actual exam their moderated school assessment is independent of that

Woodgreen1

HSC
N/A
if they’re not first internally then no, even if they come first in the actual exam their moderated school assessment is independent of that
You do not have to be first in your internal exams, but you have to be first in your external exams to get the top mark. This is the most common misconception about the HSC.I have seen many examples of this.

carrotsss

HSC
You do not have to be first in your internal exams, but you have to be first in your external exams to get the top mark. This is the most common misconception about the HSC.I have seen many examples of this.
no clue what ur talking about, I’ve literally experienced this personally last year and there’s plenty of documentation on it from NESA. last year I didn’t come first internally and did come first externally in an accelerated subject and my aligned external mark and moderated school assessment mark were quite considerably apart.

Woodgreen1

HSC
N/A
I have seen students come from 10th internally to first in the school , and have seen the reverse, a student coming first in the internals in a subject come 5th in the same.
no clue what ur talking about, I’ve literally experienced this personally last year and there’s plenty of documentation on it from NESA. last year I didn’t come first internally and did come first externally in an accelerated subject and my aligned external mark and moderated school assessment mark were quite considerably apart.
I have witnessed students who moved from 10th place internally to first place in the school, and I have also seen the opposite occur— a student who came first in the internal exams for a subject ended up placing 5th in the same.

carrotsss

HSC
I have seen students come from 10th internally to first in the school , and have seen the reverse, a student coming first in the internals in a subject come 5th in the same.

I have witnessed students who moved from 10th place internally to first place in the school, and I have also seen the opposite occur— a student who came first in the internal exams for a subject ended up placing 5th in the same.
A students aligned exam mark is entirely based on their external exam result and is separate to their moderated school assessment mark, which is based on their ranking, mark differences between rankings and the performance of their cohort in the hsc exams. The HSC mark is an average of these two marks - hence, if someone ranks poorly and then does exceptionally well in the HSC then yes, their overall HSC mark will be increased relatively (and may end up being the highest overall hsc mark if higher rankings don’t do as well externally), however their moderated school assessment mark will still, by nature, be based on their internal ranking, mark differences and the performance of the rest of their cohort, and won’t be equal to their aligned exam mark.

Woodgreen1

HSC
N/A
A students aligned exam mark is entirely based on their external exam result and is separate to their moderated school assessment mark, which is based on their ranking, mark differences between rankings and the performance of their cohort in the hsc exams. The HSC mark is an average of these two marks - hence, if someone ranks poorly and then does exceptionally well in the HSC then yes, their overall HSC mark will be increased relatively (and may end up being the highest overall hsc mark if higher rankings don’t do as well externally), however their moderated school assessment mark will still, by nature, be based on their internal ranking, mark differences and the performance of the rest of their cohort, and won’t be equal to their aligned exam mark.
I am closely monitoring the marks of this particular student this year. He placed 2nd in Chemistry and 6th in Biology. I, along with many others, believe he is a gifted science student, but his internal ranks don't reflect it. I am awaiting the results of the external exams to see his final rank. I know he is worth much more than his internals show.

carrotsss

HSC
I am closely monitoring the marks of this particular student this year. He placed 2nd in Chemistry and 6th in Biology. I, along with many others, believe he is a gifted science student, but his internal ranks don't reflect it. I am awaiting the results of the external exams to see his final rank. I know he is worth much more than his internals show.
Yeah hopefully the 50% from his external marks makes up for his lower internal mark

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)