• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

If I don't make the cut off .. (1 Viewer)

ROCKNROLLA

HSC
N/A
Next year I'll be aiming to enrol in Vet. Science or Zoology however at this point I think my goal is Vet. Science - what will be the best option if I don't make the cut offs for Vet. Science, where should I go from there? I believe they'll be asking for a ~96 UAI

I'm working on getting in as much work experience/work in the vet industry this year to help aid my application also. Just planning ahead :D thanks!

Andi0390

HSC
Most courses don't take into account work experience if you are coming straight out of year 12 - this could be course specific though.

Try your hardest and do your work (obviously). Some universities offer bonus points for relevant subjects, check what they are and see if you have them. Other universities (ANU, Macquarie I think) have UniTest which can bump up your ATAR by up to five points if you sit it.

If you have done alright in your classes then think about early entry. Not all universities offer it, and the ones that I do don't offer it for all subjects but I think it can be easier to get into some courses with it.

You might be eligible for some kind of entry scheme, but because you live in Sydney that probably cuts out most location based ones.

Finally you can always start one course and then transfer to another after a year, or wait until you are mature age and do it that way.

Also, all universities have different cut-offs, so even though you might not get the university you want, you may find you can get the course you want elsewhere. Saying that I believe Vet Science is quite high at a lot of places.

LM2009

HSC
Where are you planning on studying Vet Science?

At Usyd, they do take into account work/volunteer experience as they specifically ask all applicants to fill out the 'Commitment to Veterinary Science' statement.

Also for Usyd, the cutoff is usually higher than 98, but I do believe they have some kind of rural entry scheme which would obviously lower the cutoff.

ROCKNROLLA

HSC
N/A
I'm 21 now so technically I'd already be a mature aged student but I wanted to goto Uni with my HSC :) The Uni I'd contacted recommended I try get work experience or work in general with a Veterinarian, they'd also take into account family involvement (eg; if your dad is a Vet etc) however that isn't relevant to me.

I was thinking maybe it'd be best if I did 1 year of Zoology and then transfer (hopefully) over to Vet. Science the following year, just not 100% I'd be able to do that. I'll be applying to all Uni's that offer it even outside of Syd as I'm pretty dedicated to getting in and doing the degree. All my school work is up to par, only thing that lacks is I've never been 100% with exams which is my down fall (exams aren't for everybody) however in class work couldn't be better. I'll definitely be trying my best this year either way though just need to weigh out my options.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)