• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

illness and trials (1 Viewer)

tom16

Hi

I was looking to hear from anyone who is currently ill and is about to do their trials or someone who was ill during their trials in a previous HSC year.

I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (an auto immunue disease where your body decides to 'attack' itself in this case the joints) late last year which causes severe joint swelling / pain. I am also tired most of them time (whether I sleep for 6 hours or 10 hours). This disrupts my school work and often causes me to have days off. I often don't get alot of study completed at home because of the pain / tiredness.

I was also diagnosed with cavitating lung disease (I have 5 holes / cavities in both lungs the largest being 4cm in diameter) a couple of months ago. This causes chest pain but doesn't affect me as much as the arthritis. The cause of the cavities is unkown - I had a CT scan last week which showed they aren't getting any better - I will need either a biopsy or lung surgery (I find out this Thursday 28/07). As a result of this lung problem I have had to cease all my arthritis medication which makes the condition considerably worse.

My question is has anyone ever heard of or does anyone know if it is possible to put off the trials for a month or possibly have an estimate for my trials.

I am VERY happy with my marks / ranks considering what i've gone through (3rd in business, 3rd in legal, 1st in IT, 8th in maths, 20th in advanced english and 30th in 1u SOR).

The down side of putting off the trials (if thats at all possible) is my situation could be no better in a months time than it is right now.

I'm unsure what to do and any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

FinalFantasy

HSC
damn it sucks being ill in ANY time during the HSC...
I am currently starting to get ill as well, I have been getting headache\tiredness\sore throat lately...:( and trials are up in a few days...
Now im tryin to do all sorts of things to prevent getting worse

hmm maybe u can talk to the appropriate school staff.. cuz it's really unfair for u with all this illness and being unable to study

sly fly

HSC
Im not sure about illness during trials, but u should apply for EAS (education access scheme). It helps ppl with disadvantages (such as urself) get the extra points they need to get into uni. Just a thought. In case u haven't already considered it.

stryder_au

[ - єsçãpè - ]
HSC
probably a bit late, but see your year advisor/head of welfare/principal. they will help you fill out documents to be sent to the BOS and give you any necessary assistance. also apply for the access scheme!

i was diagnosed with spontaneous pneumothorax (holes in lungs) and had to had surgery. talk to your principal. he/she will tell you about everythin you can do.

tennille

HSC
You are doing considerably well despite the problems you are suffering from. :)

Like sly fly mentioned, apply for EAS. I'm not sure if it's too late, but maybe ring up the Board of Studies to check. :)

Like FinalFantasy and stryder_au mentioned, talk to some of the school staff. I'm sure they are willing to help.

Good luck. :)

SlipStream

HSC
Most universities have a Special Consideration Scheme that caters for students who have been disadvantaged during their HSC year due to extended periods of illness, sporting commitments, etc.

If you're interested in going to uni, go to the website of your university of preference and search for a Special Consideration Scheme. i.e. CSU Special Consideration information: Click here

[Edit: D'oh didn't realise I was simply repeating the above two posts, sorry - Good luck with everything, mate :)]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)