• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

I'm basically completely lost (1 Viewer)

mattk210

HSC
Hi all. I'm one of those people that changed their preferences after their offer - I got an offer for med and then decided I'd rather do com/sci(adv math). I'm fairly confident I'll be successful in getting a place due to a friend declining an offer in that course.

But now I've decided not to do med, I have no idea what courses and stuff I should be doing. I can't actually enroll in courses and make my timetable because I don't have the offer yet but I figured I could plan out stuff in rectangles in readiness because I want to input my choices ASAP once I get the offer, to increase my chances of my preferred lectures not being full.

So I don't know what courses I'm supposed to be adding. Do I have a choice at this point? (i assume "free electives" are not chosen at this point?). if not could someone be kind to me and tell me the courses I need? The handbook pages have a lot of information and list a lot of courses but I don't know how the overlap between science and commerce works, and I don't know how many of my courses I need to add now (for commerce is it just the "core" ones?)

Sorry about my general ignorance and thanks in advance if anyone is nice enough to help me.

Last edited:

runnable

HSC
For Comm, yes do your core ones early. There are 4 cores so that should fit into all your Sem 1 subjects if you decide to do a pure Comm semester.

For Adv Maths component, you can always do some maths/sci first year subjects in your first sem.

Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)
Completion of at least 144 uoc of course delivered by Science Schools*, including

* an Advanced Mathematics major from program 3986,
* a 48 uoc Honours sequence at stage 5
* 18 to 48 uoc of thesis or project work,
* 6uoc of Advanced Mathematics general core courses (SCIF1021) and
* 24 to 48 uoc of level I science.

Quite clear I would say. UNSW Handbook if your friend. Choose some level 1 sciences, eg Higher Maths, Maths...

UNSW Handbook Program - Commerce/Science(AdvMath) - 3523

There's nothing you can do to book yourself into those classes early until you get that offer and get enroled but don't worry too much about classes. Commerce subjects are massive classes and you won't get a terrible timetable.

mattk210

HSC
oh, so I choose? I was thinking there was some sort of set program. Don't know where I got that idea.

So as I understand it, I need exactly 4 courses (can I do more?) taken from commerce compulsory cores and the compulsory stage 1 courses for my chosen math major. Does it actually matter what I pick to do in the first semester, given I'll be doing it all anyway?

By that thinking I think I'll do a balance of courses from commerce and science:

discrete math
Maths - Actuarial & Finance 1A
Accounting & Financial Mgt 1A
Microeconomics 1

Thanks a lot for your help by the way, this process is very confusing to me, and I'm pretty paranoid about doing the wrong thing. I expected the university to explain it to me, ha.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)