• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

I'm curious: "past experience" (1 Viewer)

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Why is it that it seems so many jobs in <insert "any" given area here> require that you have previous experience for <insert given number> years? How does one GET experience in the first place if to get experience you need experience? Damn employers.

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
What's funniest is where you see a job saying something like 'kitchenhand' or 'dishwasher' followed by 'exp req'.

I think the smaller places want experience because they don't really have training procedures

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Thats why part time and casual work during highschool look good on your resume.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
mr_brightside said:
Thats why part time and casual work during highschool look good on your resume.
I'm talking more about specific experience in the field, eg I'm wanting to try get into photography but absolutely everywhere requires something along the lines of "min. 3 years studio photography experience" which in a way is fair enough, but how do you start? It's like this for many jobs.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I was lucky that I still managed to get a job without any substantial work exp.... but what I lacked in real work experience, I made up for with alot of volunteer and extra curricular work. Basically I think you need to figure out "why" they want the work experience component, and then prove to them that you meet their requirements without the work experience.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Volunteer is pretty good, things like Journalism and stuff are pretty good. My friend writes music reviews for a music website for free, which gives her experience of interviewing bands, working with a team and editor etc...

Otherwise, there are often a lot of jobs that require no experience but offer particular things you're not aware of. For example, most ushering jobs require experience. I work at a cafe at a function place and one day they just told me to do ushering for a few weeks (and yeah, like dishwashing, who says you need experience?).

So yeaaaahhh, or you just get lucky

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)