• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

I'm screwed (1 Viewer)

username33

HSC
So as the title says, I'm legit screwed. For which subject? Chemistry.

So a bit of background knowledge, I go to a top 30 school, and each year there's 1 or 2 B6's for chem 💀 but that's coz there's always one person who stuffed up on the day and dragged everyone else down. This year, our teacher predicted around 5 B6's in our class of 15.

Now getting to the screwed up part, I'm currently ranked last 😭. Not proud to admit it, but I rly slacked off in chem last 2 terms (studied night before exam), as I always put math as my priority and just neglected most of my other subjects. But this term, I rly wanna get good in chem, esp in trials, as the degree I want to do has a fair bit of chem in it (also, who'd wanna stay ranked last?).

Now usually, my class has a pretty small standard deviation, with me being the outlier (but not by much), and everyone is pretty bunched up. So I hope I can at least climb up like 5 ranks this term, but idk if that's possible, esp considering that the assessment task is a skilled based exam on calcs.

So my qs r:
1. Is it still possible to push up my rank to, say, top 10 this term and maintain that after trials? (btw weightings r 30% both this term and trials)
2. Is it possible for me to get a mid B5 (around 85) or am I hoping for too much?
3. How do I study for chem? (pretty stupid qs ik) Is it just grinding past paper qs for each sdp (ngl trial paper qs r so hard, do they get easier over time?)

Thanks all 🙏

P.S (excuse me if I sound weird, still fairly new to the forum)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Since I did not take Chemistry, I cannot answer your third question. Perhaps someone else could. In terms of your first and second questions:

1. Generally speaking, it is possible for you to improve your rank. Whether you will be able to do so, and the extent to which you will do so depends on three factors:
  • Your performance
  • The performance of other students in your cohort
  • The remaining weighting.
It is important to note that the performance of other students in your cohort and the remaining weighting are factors that are beyond your control. Because of this, you should focus your efforts in a different direction, specifically on your own performance, since this is the factor that you can control. If you do your utmost to prepare for your next task and your trial exam, you will hopefully improve your performance. From this point, the more favourable your performance, the higher your rank is likely to be.

2. Given your current position, an HSC mark of 85 may not be as easy to achieve as it could have been, had you taken Chemistry more seriously from the start. However, it is definitely possible. In addition to your remaining school-based assessment tasks/exams, keep in mind that the HSC exam alone contributes 50% of your HSC mark for this subject, meaning that favourable performance in your remaining internal tasks and your HSC exam will maximise your chances of achieving an HSC mark in that range.

I hope this helps! :D

carrotsss

HSC
3. Yes past papers questions get easier over time, and they are imo the best way to study. The trick it to make sure that every time you get a question wrong/can’t do a question, you revise it thoroughly enough that you’d be able to do it easily.

username33

HSC
Since I did not take Chemistry, I cannot answer your third question. Perhaps someone else could. In terms of your first and second questions:

1. Generally speaking, it is possible for you to improve your rank. Whether you will be able to do so, and the extent to which you will do so depends on three factors:
  • Your performance
  • The performance of other students in your cohort
  • The remaining weighting.
It is important to note that the performance of other students in your cohort and the remaining weighting are factors that are beyond your control. Because of this, you should focus your efforts in a different direction, specifically on your own performance, since this is the factor that you can control. If you do your utmost to prepare for your next task and your trial exam, you will hopefully improve your performance. From this point, the more favourable your performance, the higher your rank is likely to be.

2. Given your current position, an HSC mark of 85 may not be as easy to achieve as it could have been, had you taken Chemistry more seriously from the start. However, it is definitely possible. In addition to your remaining school-based assessment tasks/exams, keep in mind that the HSC exam alone contributes 50% of your HSC mark for this subject, meaning that favourable performance in your remaining internal tasks and your HSC exam will maximise your chances of achieving an HSC mark in that range.

I hope this helps! :D
Thank you sm, this helped a lot! I'll def keep your advice in mind and focus better on my performance :)

username33

HSC
3. Yes past papers questions get easier over time, and they are imo the best way to study. The trick it to make sure that every time you get a question wrong/can’t do a question, you revise it thoroughly enough that you’d be able to do it easily.
So glad to hear that! Thanks for the advice!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)