• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

'Image': A Definition Needed (1 Viewer)

SyCoTiC

HSC
I just started studying this module and I need help with coming to a concise yet substantial definition and outline of this concept. Can anyone provide that? I've been asked by my teacher to write half a page worth highlighting the features and definition of 'Image' itself.

HELP! :eek:

busbohuthogaya

HSC
N/A
hey sycotic! i m not sure if i'll be able to help u but our class is way into this module....i suppose juss think abt how and what image and imagery presents ideas...for eg. in strictly ballroom, there r many ideas and themes that are highlighted throu juss the use of image and symbolism (Fran's stereotypical appearance shows her as a low status member of the society).....hope this helps!! :)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Some common misconceptions of 'Image' in the context of this module are:
Image = Imagery
Image = Body Image
Image = Pictures

However by definition in this module:
Image is NOT imagery
Image is NOT body image
Image is NOT just pictures

Image is experience through visual language. In other words, it is our interpretation of an external representation of a person or figure. For example, a person may be into punk rock culture and may externally present themselves in this way (e.g. black messy hair, body piercings, rude, listens to rock music with screaming vocals etc). We may view/interpret this person as uneducated, irresponsible and criminal. This is the image of this person to us. Whether this image is true or not is a different story, but for the sake of this module, composers use many language devices to project an impression of a person (e.g. the hero and the villain of a story). This impression is called the 'Image'.

Stereotypes are good examples for articulating the concept of Image.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)