• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

IMAGE - When the Wind Blows, Briggs (1 Viewer)

natt2006

HSC
Hi all,

just looking for additional notes on Raymond Briggs' When the Wind Blows, though found none so hoping I can help out someone else by posting my ones I already have.

Don't stress!

Natalie

Note: they're not in any complete order yet, though they have technique, example and effect. Work out a way to link them to your own theisis and given HSC question.

My supplement material for image is "Untitled - We have Recieved Orderd Not to Move" by Barbara Krueger, and "Imaginary" by Evanescence.

When the Wind Blows – Raymond Briggs

*black comedy
*anti-nuclear text
*darkly satirical multimedia text
*visual parable
*allegory

Technique – comic book format
Effect – Creates irony, presents a powerful image, opportunity to use colour, confronting, saturated mood

Technique – colour
Effect – Mood, emotion, changing situation in book, symbolic
Example – initial colours are bright, vivid and engaging. Reflect mood of Jim and Hilda, and the environment before disaster strikes
- transgression of colour into bland, dark, depressive saturation is furthermore appropriate. This occurs after the explosion, drawing sickness, and finally death.
- double pages of white, with faint expressions of red symbolise the bomb, and a blinding change the couple are powerless to stop.
- final page of black squares and minimal dialogue and no light, symbolise their, and societies, death.

Technique – characterisation
Effect – in order to represent and allow the audience to relate with the protagonists, Briggs emphasises the symbolic nature of Jim and Hilda. Through their stylisation, they become depictions of “everyman” figures.
Example – plain, stereotypical, predictable.
- simplistic design of dots for eyes, timeless clothing, and naivety towards government propaganda.
Effect – this, in turn, demonstrates the devastating impact a war would have on the innocents of society. It is ironic that they rely on the radio commentary and booklets from the government themselves.
Example – “After all, it will all be over in a flash.” The __ is confronting to the audience, as well as his happy, blank gaze towards the audience, and we sympathise from the outside.

Technique – power
Example – government bodies – big, detailed, coloured
- James questions the ‘paper bag’ – government’s absurd ideas put forward and the ways in which they mislead society into a false sense of security.
Technique – malapropism
Example - Jim “ultimate determent” not “ultimate deterrent”, and “commuters” not “computers”
Effect – highlights impossibility for civilians to understand the danger they face.

Technique – colour (again, additions)
Example – Briggs collectively chooses a missile, air plane and submarine to represent land, air and water – the three main aspects of our planet to show that war is dominating and there is no escape from the weapons of mass destruction.
- dull, murky, grey – negativity, futile, destructive, depression
- the bright, vivid colours at the beginning and the dull, lifeless colours at the end, highlight this negativity and futility, as does the extensive use of the colour red, symbolising passion, blood, death, heat and war.
- All those pre-mentioned visual techniques are images used by Briggs to portray people, places and ideas regarding nuclear war.

The answer:
* clear argument, expressed in introduction
* character’s naivety in the face of war
* techniques include framing, colour, line drawing and its changes, and double-page spreads.
* nuclear war has no victor

Feel free to email me! natt89@gmail.com
http://nightlolita.deviantart.com

freakshow42

HSC
THANKYOU!!! i searched everywhere for when the wind blows and its nowhere!!

THANKS for popsting these they'll be a big help!! :)

M

monic

thanks sooooo much! the net's got NOTHING on when the wind blows...except this site =P

SandyPants312

HSC
Thank yoooouuuuu!!!! I dropped to standard at the last minute so I didn't get to go to ANY classes on this topic but I still have to write about it in my exams :bomb:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)