• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Imaginary Numbers (2 Viewers)

blackfireweb

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, I'm sorry to hijack this board, but I could really use the combined intellect of those who did 4U maths (I just couldn't keep up when I tried in '09), about Imaginary Numbers. Now, my friend (who is American, thought that might be relevant) insists that Imaginary Numbers exist on their own plane of reality, or something similar. From what I gathered through our own research, she seems to be talking about the Complex Number System. Please, can someone enlighten me on the matter (I'm actually interesting in learning about this further, not just taking an answer for a silly argument and leaving) more?

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
they are the same shit - he/she is prob refering to the graphical intepretation you do at school?

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Hey guys, I'm sorry to hijack this board, but I could really use the combined intellect of those who did 4U maths (I just couldn't keep up when I tried in '09), about Imaginary Numbers. Now, my friend (who is American, thought that might be relevant) insists that Imaginary Numbers exist on their own plane of reality, or something similar. From what I gathered through our own research, she seems to be talking about the Complex Number System. Please, can someone enlighten me on the matter (I'm actually interesting in learning about this further, not just taking an answer for a silly argument and leaving) more?
Complex Plane

When you graph complex numbers, the real part is the x-axis and the imaginary is the y-axis. It's called an Argand Diagram.

rawrence

HSC
They're the same thing, Imaginary numbers exist in their own plane but it's called the Argand diagram. It's a geometrical interpretation.

ZachBC_94

HSC
It's not really a plane of reality. More its a graphical interpretation of complex numbers, which is why you can't have a complex number locus.

RULE 1 of Complex Numbers: They cannot be graphed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)