• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Importance of Uni or degree? (1 Viewer)

stargaze

HSC
Hi ppls,

I'm in yr12 atm, and its about that time for university preferences. My question is: What significance is there to the university you are at? Okay, that was badly worded, but really what I'm asking: does the perceived reputation of universities have any effect on the "worthiness" and employability your degree?

I think the general feeling amongst my peers is that UNSW is the premier university in NSW, followed by USYD then Maquarie. This 'ranking' is primarily just a reflection to the UAI cut-offs (UNSW tend to have higher cutoffs than any other uni).

For instance, let's say there are 5 cloned ppl who have a Bachelor Medicine degree, except from the different unis - UNSW, Melbourne, Monash, Newcastle, Adelaide; Is the UNSW graduate consider "better" than the others because s/he comes from a university that was more competitive in its selection + more 'respected'?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
While which uni is superior, so to speak, is highly debatable, I believe USyd has higher cut offs than most other unis for the same course.

As for the med question, I'd say Melbourne is better, although that's just my personal opinion.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
UNSW? You're asian aren't you?

Look, all the big unis pretty much give the same degrees - USyd, UNSW, UTS, etc. It all comes down to the individual. If you go poorly in a good course you won't have the same job prospects as someone whose gone well through uni and has extra-curricular, job-associated activities to support them.

But in saying that, up USyd.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
An Adelaide Student in 6th yr got internship placements in NSW Vic SA QLD
all their 1st preferences..

Bachelor of Medicine is a VERY bad example.. it has a no shortage esp in NSW... its why there is a lot of foreign Medical practitioners

Its also a Lottery in most states.. with different rounds! and most ppl get their top 2 preferences

ure degree makes no difference.. because all Medical Schools have to be accreditted by the Aust Medical Council.. in theory all students should be equal by the end of 5th/6th yr..

ure degree *may* only matter if u decided to do research... because ure basics of research sciences are different in school.. but ure "employability" isnt goin to matter.

Last edited:

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
UAI cutoffs mean dick, except for the popularity of the course in question. If high school should have taught you anything, it's that 'popularity' means fuck all in the real world. Yeah, I'm bitter about being a nerd, but I digress.

Basically, it's your results that dictate your employment prospects (as well as the job market), not the institution. Someone from CSU with a HD average + first class honours in whatever field will trounce someone from USyd/UNSW who barely maintained a C.

Of course, going on the stupid (and overused) hypothetical 'but what if their results/looks/sex/penis size were all the SAME??!?!', I guess the institution could make a difference. It depends on the employer - a hardcore UoW grad who still has UoW banners hanging in his big-wig CEO office and wears a UoW shirt to work everyday probably won't give USyd grads preference over those from, say, UoW.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
hfis said:
UAI cutoffs mean dick, except for the popularity of the course in question. If high school should have taught you anything, it's that 'popularity' means fuck all in the real world. Yeah, I'm bitter about being a nerd, but I digress.

Basically, it's your results that dictate your employment prospects (as well as the job market), not the institution. Someone from CSU with a HD average + first class honours in whatever field will trounce someone from USyd/UNSW who barely maintained a C.

Of course, going on the stupid (and overused) hypothetical 'but what if their results/looks/sex/penis size were all the SAME??!?!', I guess the institution could make a difference. It depends on the employer - a hardcore UoW grad who still has UoW banners hanging in his big-wig CEO office and wears a UoW shirt to work everyday probably won't give USyd grads preference over those from, say, UoW.
if there was rep, i'd rep you

hfis, always taking time out to say good, helpful, thoughtful and witty responses.

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
Komaticom said:
Generally speaking employers prefer UTS graduates.
Evidence...? *Confused*

For what type of jobs?

Anyhoo, a little rant here: may I just say that I am sick and tired of people coming to university to 'get a job'. University should be about rigerous academic engagement with interesting intellectual problems. Please, even if you come to the University to study a 'vocational/professional' degree (e.g. accounting etc) promise me you will also look beyond that and try to engage with issues on this other plane of thought. It will help augment your personality in positive ways, which will help in finding a job ... I promise.

santaslayer

HSC
ManlyChief said:
Evidence...? *Confused*

For what type of jobs?

Anyhoo, a little rant here: may I just say that I am sick and tired of people coming to university to 'get a job'. University should be about rigerous academic engagement with interesting intellectual problems. Please, even if you come to the University to study a 'vocational/professional' degree (e.g. accounting etc) promise me you will also look beyond that and try to engage with issues on this other plane of thought. It will help augment your personality in positive ways, which will help in finding a job ... I promise.
You can't change how some people think of certain things. Esp about going to uni. MOST people go to uni to get a job, not to pursue a life of academic enjoyment.

Anyway, a LOT of employers DO have a preference as to WHO they employ.

Apparently, KPMG Wollongong love to employ UoW students. :p

santaslayer

HSC
Komaticom said:
Can't find the article on the net, but I read about it in the SMH quite a while ago.
Types of jobs include- but are not limited to- architecture and IT.
The article's titled "Employers Prefer UTS Graduates". If you can dig it up I'll give you a lolly.

ahahahaa...equivalent of saying,

"Please find relevant premises to support by random and (currently) unjustified statement."

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
I think for certain degrees it does matter. For others it does not.

For law there is the perceived superiority of usyd and unsw law schools. Before we start another flame war this is a perceived difference.

the reality is in most cases your success will depend on what you make of your uni experience. However if a firm is looking at a grad from usyd who has a D average in law and they look at a UNE law student with a D average they are going to take the usyd law person.

If they have a usyd person and a unsw person with D averages they will interview both.

If they get a usyd person and a uow person both with D averages they would take the usyd grad or interview both perhaps leaning towards usyd.

-----

I'm not sure how you can explain how the big sydney and international firms recruit from the best of the best of the G8 universities. How is it possible that, for example, a GREAT majority of [insert big law firm] summer employees happen to come from the G8?

I think Frigid posted something up once that stated that the firms don't favour the G8 its just that the best happen to come from the G8.

-----

But in the end its all a bit silly. If you manage to get an interview then its not what uni you come from but rather whether you would fit into the encvironment of the firm.

Last edited:

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
erawamai said:
For law there is the perceived superiority of usyd and unsw law schools. Before we start another flame war this is a perceived difference.

the reality is in most cases your success will depend on what you make of your uni experience. However if a firm is looking at a grad from usyd who has a D average in law and they look at a UNE law student with a D average they are going to take the usyd law person.

If they have a usyd person and a unsw person with D averages they will interview both.

If they get a usyd person and a uow person both with D's averages they would take the usyd grad or interview both perhaps leaning towards usyd.
The entire argument about perceived superiority is very high school. You're assuming that employers don't take in to account other factors such as previous work experience or performance in the interview.

I'm not sure how you can explain how the big sydney and international firms recruit from the best of the best of the G8 universities. How is it possible that, for example, a GREAT majority of [insert big law firm) summer employees happen to come from the G8?
Because there are more Go8 graduates and because all Go8 universities are located in major capital cities and therefore graduates can network and find it easier to job hunt.

In regards to med, +Po1ntDeXt3r+ said everything that needed to be said. What you should be thinking about, instead of perceived prestige are travel times, the universities location (I'd choose to live in Melbourne over Adelaide any day) and the universities campus life. I wouldn't be too keen on going to Newcastle, since they're suffering from huge financial problems, but that may or may not be hurting the med faculty, perhaps a UN med student could clarify?

The same story holds true for law, since it's a homogenous degree without much differentiation between universities (UNSW does two sessions of crim, ANU has strengths in public law, but that's about it, everyone basically does the same LLB). Take into account the strength of the university in the degree which you're combining law with, the foreign universities which the university has exchange agreements with, the majors that you can take etc as well as all of the above.

Last edited:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
neo_o said:
You're assuming that employers don't take in to account other factors such as previous work experience or performance in the interview.
Last part of my post. For law jobs most of it comes down to interview and whether the firm thinks you would fit in. This includes work experience etc etc.

Because there are more Go8 graduates and because all Go8 universities are located in major capital cities and therefore graduates can network and find it easier to job hunt.
I'm not sure if there are more G8 graduates than non g8 grads. The majority of Australian universities have law schools. Not all of them are G8. I would have thought most law grads in Australia came from non g8 universities.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
erawamai said:
I'm not sure if there are more G8 graduates than non g8 grads. The majority of Australian universities have law schools. Not all of them are G8. I would have thought most law grads in Australia came from non g8 universities.
Go8 universities generally have larger intakes and aren't regional so therefore have less people electing to practice outside of major cities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)