• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Important Decision (1 Viewer)

sam_account

HSC
just wondering as to u what choice people would make if they were offered:

1 - UTS accounting scholarship ( 13000 per yr)
OR
2 - sydney uni - bachelor of commerce (liberal studies)

1 or 2??

sam_account

HSC
aim54x said:
is there money involved with USYD???? is there like a scholarship in that offer as well?

nope---nothing with syd course..only with uts

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
sam_account said:
just wondering as to u what choice people would make if they were offered:

1 - UTS accounting scholarship ( 13000 per yr)
OR
2 - sydney uni - bachelor of commerce (liberal studies)

1 or 2??
Are you required to work for a frim or something under the terms of the UTS scholarship? ... it seems a little high otherwise ...

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
sikeveo said:
I'd imagine it was the UTS Co-op.
Hmm ... I used to think the Co-op scholarships were unconditional (other than academic performance) and then friends of mine at UNSW who have the scholarship informed me that they need to work for the firms during their holidays!

If you are taking the scholarship option, I would first be certain that you understand any working conditions that are attached to it and whether you are prepared to work those conditions. After all, if you are going to work of it, 13,000 p.a. really is not that much - it's only 12hrs/week @ $20/hr. Also, ensure you understand the taxation implications of the scholarship - some are tax free, others may not be (especially if you are required to work for a company as part of the award).

Some say the Co-op scholarship can help you get a job after graduation because you are already working in the sector - this sounds right, but you must balance that against the negatives and the fact that BComm programmes generally have a good internship/cadetship schemes anyway.

sam_account

HSC
wow!!!

manly chief..that' sum good info

i never thought about it in terms of cash per hr..

the only reason i wanted new opinions was because since ur gonna go to uni for 4+ years most likely..

so there should be a good uni life/atmosphere, and i reckon sydney's is obviously better than uts.!!!!!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Strongly depends on your interests and majors. Not everyone will be suited to Cummerce (Liberal Studies)
Sarevok - are you xfering from it?

sarevok

HSC
stazi said:
Sarevok - are you xfering from it?
yes, i hope to get a transfer into unsw science/commerce, which seems more my sort of thing. imo commerce lib. studies is a pretty good degree though, and preferable to doing an acct cadetship :)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
sarevok said:
yes, i hope to get a transfer into unsw science/commerce, which seems more my sort of thing. imo commerce lib. studies is a pretty good degree though, and preferable to doing an acct cadetship :)
Brilliant :) I shotgun your com (lib) place for when I transfer for next year

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
If you life goal is to be an accountant, I would do the accounting course. UTS has a good reputation for business and accounting, people say $13000 p.a. isn't a lot of money, but I am under the understanding that the scholarship isn't taxed? Hence the scholarship is worth a fair bit more when you compare it to working for the money (where you will pay tax on what you earn and thus take home less money). Plus the industry experience you get will mean you will basically be able to walk straight out of uni in to a job.

Commerce Liberal Studies is pretty different to a straight accounting degree, I think you need to decide which degree you want to do more and what you want to do in the future. Yeah, the money is great, but it won't be so great if you hate the course. You need to pick based on the course rather than the money, as hard as that may be!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
braindrainedAsh said:
If you life goal is to be an accountant, I would do the accounting course. UTS has a good reputation for business and accounting, people say $13000 p.a. isn't a lot of money, but I am under the understanding that the scholarship isn't taxed? Hence the scholarship is worth a fair bit more when you compare it to working for the money (where you will pay tax on what you earn and thus take home less money). Plus the industry experience you get will mean you will basically be able to walk straight out of uni in to a job.

Commerce Liberal Studies is pretty different to a straight accounting degree, I think you need to decide which degree you want to do more and what you want to do in the future. Yeah, the money is great, but it won't be so great if you hate the course. You need to pick based on the course rather than the money, as hard as that may be!
I agree with Ash, depends on where you think you're headed.
There is no doubt that if you graduate with a UTS accounting co op degree, you'll be rolling in the job offers (depending on your interview performances) as you'll have the degree and experience.

Commerce (Lib) is suited for people that really have no idea what they want as yet

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
no, it's for people who want a commerce degree and a career in that area but who also want to complete studies of a language or interest units in 2 or 3 arts/science areas

as everyone has said, if you're heading for a career in accounting then UTS looks like the best bet

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
I think 7/10 of the Financial Operations Division at Mac Bank graduate intake for 2006 were doing the UTS accounting scholarship course.

They also all got a 10k bonus for accepting the job.

Def do the UTS course, you will be inundated with amazing job offers upon the completion of your course. Plus the 13k a year is handy.

B.Commerce (Lib Studies) sounds like a fucking wank to me, if you want a job in commerce I really don't think the extra liberal studies component would help one bit, it's only good if you don't want to have to do the standard commerce structure and skip out some stuff like accounting.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Soma said:
B.Commerce (Lib Studies) sounds like a fucking wank to me, if you want a job in commerce I really don't think the extra liberal studies component would help one bit, it's only good if you don't want to have to do the standard commerce structure and skip out some stuff like accounting.
not that much to someone doing accounting, but it's very good for someone wanting to do something like marketing, or government etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)