In-depth study experiment (1 Viewer)

starmight

HSC
hey guys, I have to create an in-depth study for my bio assignment this term, basically having to create a practical investigation using agar plates to comment on the effect of infectious disease caused by poor water or bad food hygiene. I'm struggling with trying to come up with an experiment to test on. if anyone got any ideas please help me :)) !

starmight

HSC
There's so many things you could with this, the idea is broad

1. Water quality: You could collect water samples from different sources (such as a tap, a river, and a pond) and inoculate agar plates with the water samples. Then you could compare the growth of microorganisms on the different plates to see if there is a correlation between water quality and bacterial growth.
  2. Food hygiene: You could swab different surfaces in a kitchen (such as a cutting board, a countertop, and a utensil) and inoculate agar plates with the swabs. Then you could compare the growth of microorganisms on the different plates to see if there is a correlation between surface cleanliness and bacterial growth.
  3. Food contamination: You could inoculate agar plates with a food sample (such as ground beef or lettuce) and incubate the plates at different temperatures and for different lengths of time to simulate different storage conditions. Then you could compare the growth of microorganisms on the different plates to see how temperature and time affect bacterial growth.
  4. Antibacterial agents: You could test the effectiveness of different antibacterial agents (such as hand sanitizer, vinegar, or bleach) in reducing bacterial growth on agar plates. You could inoculate the plates with bacteria and then add the antibacterial agent to see how it affects bacterial growth.
etc...
thank you so much!! i have decided to develop my inquiry question surrounding water treatment/ sanitation. do you have anymore experiments that I could use agar plates with?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)