• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Increase in Full-Fee Places, decrease in HECS places? (1 Viewer)

epsilon

HSC
Hey guys. Being a 2004 HSC student, I suddenly had a panic attack while eating my pizza tonight. I suddenly remembered that Brendan Nelson (our Education Minister) said that full-fee places for 2005 would be increased. Does that mean that HECS places will be decreased??? Does this mean that the UAI's for the courses this year will all increase higher than 'normal' (compared to 04)? *Sweating now...*

Damn I hate Liberal!!!

epsilon

HSC
I guess what I'm trying to ask is that, would the increase in the intake of full fee students this year DECREASE the number of HECS places available? Will this cause the increase in the UAI cut-offs for this year to be much higher than the previous years?

Generator

HSC
N/A
Now up to 35% of a course's intake (except medicine) may be set aside for full-fee students, so for the the more popular degrees at the universities offering full-fee places I guess that the published HECS cut-offs could rise, despite the number of new Commonwealth funded places being created throughout the country.

http://www.backingaustraliasfuture.gov.au/fact_sheets/3.htm#f

ohne

HSC
epsilon said:
Hey guys. Being a 2004 HSC student, I suddenly had a panic attack while eating my pizza tonight. I suddenly remembered that Brendan Nelson (our Education Minister) said that full-fee places for 2005 would be increased. Does that mean that HECS places will be decreased??? Does this mean that the UAI's for the courses this year will all increase higher than 'normal' (compared to 04)? *Sweating now...*

Damn I hate Liberal!!!
No. HECS places (or Commonwealth supported as they are now called) are being increased overall also. Universities will now simply be able to offer more full-fee paying places as well. This doesn't apply to all universities though and I think its only USyd, UNSW and ACU that offer them in NSW. And even then it is only significant in courses that are hard to get into, like law, medicine, pharmacy etc.

epsilon

HSC
I'm interested in UTS's B. Business courses, specifically in accounting. Will it be affected?

ohne

HSC
epsilon said:
I'm interested in UTS's B. Business courses, specifically in accounting. Will it be affected?
I don't think UTS offers fee-paying, so you will be in no way affected.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Fee paying is such bullshit. Why should retards be rewarded because they are filthy rich?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)