• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Increasing Handwriting Speed (1 Viewer)

shankshlogg

HSC
Hi to everyone

I was seeking help on how to increase the speed of my handwriting. I'm currently at about 950 words in a 40-minute essay as the maximum. It feels that my handwriting has not gotten any faster over the last year even though I have actively been trying. Could you please drop some suggestions below on how to increase my speed?

HSC
950 words in 40 mins is actually not that bad, remember it's quality over quantity in English

agreed with ace, my main tip is invest in better pens it's a game changer, ballpoint pens are not it for fast writing use rollerball or gel instead, any pens with less friction more pigment

also consider changing your handwriting just a bit, I found that if I write slightly in itallics and space my words out I write faster, so maybe experiment with diff writing styles

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
950 words in 40 mins is actually not that bad, remember it's quality over quantity in English

agreed with ace, my main tip is invest in better pens it's a game changer, ballpoint pens are not it for fast writing use rollerball or gel instead, any pens with less friction more pigment

also consider changing your handwriting just a bit, I found that if I write slightly in itallics and space my words out I write faster, so maybe experiment with diff writing styles
yeaa when i write cursive i write rlly fast but sometimes its hard to read 😭

HSC
my brother got illegible handwriting warnings all the time 😭he has MICROSCOPIC handwriting not even exaggerating, there's small, and then there's microscopic

so write fast but also legibly xx

Cute-Duckie

HSC
Maybe try writing with a weight on your pen? It strengthens your hand and then you get faster when you write without it.

potato_934

HSC
Maybe try writing with a weight on your pen? It strengthens your hand and then you get faster when you write without it.
How would I go about that? Is that a thing that you can like buy online or something?

Chiprr

HSC
Does this actually work though?
I did the battery thing and definitely felt like it helped. Could scrape out about 3 pages in my prelim in 40 minutes using 3 AA batteries, wrote 4.5 pages in my prelim without any batteries.

What I would recommend is to have a pen with 3 batteries and one with two. That way if your hand gets sore part way through a practice essay, you can make it slightly easier but still use weights. Also, don't do it excessively to avoid injuring your hand.

liyzapiza

HSC
I did the battery thing and definitely felt like it helped. Could scrape out about 3 pages in my prelim in 40 minutes using 3 AA batteries, wrote 4.5 pages in my prelim without any batteries.

What I would recommend is to have a pen with 3 batteries and one with two. That way if your hand gets sore part way through a practice essay, you can make it slightly easier but still use weights. Also, don't do it excessively to avoid injuring your hand.
You it's better to work up to three batteries by increasing or just go straight for three? I also feel like lowk my brain isn't even fast enough 🤣😂

Chiprr

HSC
You it's better to work up to three batteries by increasing or just go straight for three? I also feel like lowk my brain isn't even fast enough 🤣😂
I started with 3 straight away but my hand would get tired pretty quickly. Once I noticed myself slowing down considerably, I swapped to another pen with only two batteries which allowed me to write for a bit longer. After I slowed down using 2, I just went to a regular pen and finished the essay.

The day before prelim's, I could write 75% of an essay with 3 batteries and finish it with 2 within the 40 minutes.

Writing with the batteries already makes you write a bit slower so you get a bit more time to think. If you have a solid essay plan (i didn't) writing quickly shouldn't become too much of an issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)