indiv&soc: VANITY FAIR (1 Viewer)

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
Is anybody doing vanity fair for their extra text for indiv and society? i was planning to use it as my extra text, and i'm basically comparing the fates of amelia and becky and relating it to indiv n society (conformation/rebellion)

does anybody have any notes/links? i've checked up most of the prep notes online, but i'd prefer meatier stuf... hehe...
(if anyone emails me, can they pm me as well? i tend not to check my mail as often...)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I'm doing Vanity Fair!!! I'm currently rereading it. I haven't really got any notes or anything so if you find anything I would love it if you could share (and if I find anything I'll be happy to do the same in return).

Jaded Member
HSC
i've got a little bit...
the structure of the plot; it's like, two parallel narratives that reflect the different attitudes (becky n amelia), and a bit about satire.. but i have to go over my notes again.. >.<
but i was thinking, do u think amelia conforms too much to society? u know how she's continually weeping over her stupid husband, like the pathetic creature that she is.. ^^... i jus want to know what u think of the book in general..

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah, I think Amelia is so "soft"... she annoys me. Becky is fiesty and tries so hard to manipulate things in her own favor... she doesn't conform to society's conventions and tries to break the strict social classes and move her way up in the world.

Amelia is such a sap, and then there is Dobbin, who I also felt really sorry for. But how could he love Amelia! She was so annoying!!!!

For some reason, Amelia kind of reminds me of Jane in P&P, and Becky sorta reminds me of Lizzy......

Jaded Member
HSC
lol... i thought it was just me... thank god someone else finds amelia annoying... half the time i was reading it i wished i could just get a plank of wood and thump some sense into her...
do u think either becky or amelia change or develop as characters in the novel? i wasn't sure, because neither of them change their innate qualities; amelia's selfish goodness and becky's selfish selfishness, but maybe their experiences change them?
and does thackeray satirise the social expectations of his day? he seems to be implying that if u go too far in trying to meet these expectations, like Becky's shameless ladder-climbing, then you'll end up ruined, but if you try to be nice and good all the time, like Amelia, you'll end up a hopeless sap? i don't know... >.<

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
How do you think Vanity Fair challenges the institution of marriage?? Like, Becky marries for money, and her marriage ultimately fails, and Amelia marries for love, but her marriage is doomed as well, so what do you think it is saying about marriage?

Also, I found a good site
http://www.pinkmonkey.com/booknotes/monkeynotes/pmVanity01.asp

There is even a message board on there dedicated entirely to Vanity Fair :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)