induction q. from fitz. (1 Viewer)

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
dude, don't be ashamed to ask q's! and i'm sure Cm tutor and others are happy to help you out! i would if i could :p

dilos

HSC
thanks heaps, it's so reassuring to have you guys help out!!

*hugs the maths ext1 forum*

dilos

HSC
Originally posted by CM_Tutor
This question was discussed on the other current induction thread - have a look, and then try it yourself.

And no, I'm not annoyed. Why do you ask?
i'm feeling really bad for asking so many q's...as long as it's ok, thanks so much- i really really appreciate it.

dilos

HSC
i got stuck half way through this!! what do you do!!!

Prove by induction:

The sum of the angles of a polygon of n sides is (2n-4)right angles, n=>3

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by dilos
i got stuck half way through this!! what do you do!!!

Prove by induction:

The sum of the angles of a polygon of n sides is (2n-4)right angles, n=>3
First part is straight forward - you just have to prove that the angle sum of a triangle is 180.

For the second part, you've assumed the result for a k-sided polygon(a 'k-gon'), and must prove it for a
(k + 1)-gon. To do this, label the vertices of your (k + 1)-gon sequentially as V<sub>1</sub>, V<sub>2</sub>, V<sub>3</sub>, ..., V<sub>k+1</sub>. Now, join V<sub>1</sub> to V<sub>3</sub>. The angle sum of the (k + 1)-gon is equal to the angle sum of the triangle V<sub>1</sub>V<sub>2</sub>V<sub>3</sub> (which you know is 180 from the first part) plus the angle sum of the k-gon V<sub>1</sub>V<sub>3</sub>V<sub>4</sub>...V<sub>k+1</sub> (which you know from the induction hypothesis). The solution should follow from there. Clear?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)