Industrial production questions (1 Viewer)

Aerlinn

HSC
Some evil questions I came across:
1 Explain why ethane, the feedstock used in the thermal cracking process, is present among the products and suggest what would be done with this substance.
2 What are the main reasons why the clustering of companies in the Altona Complex is commercially advantageous. What compromises would be involved in a decision to organise a group of industries in such a manner?
3 The world has become very dependent on the products of the petrochemical industry, but the raw materials of crude oil and natural gas are likely to be virtually exhausted by 2100. Assuming the current production processes stay unchanged, suggest the impact of the lack of raw materials in our lifestyles.
It would probably affect a lot of things, and consumer products as well, but specifically, any major examples?

4. Isomers of C5H10 ... There is pent-1-ene, pent-2-ene, 2-methyl but-1-ene, 2-methyl but-2-ene, but 3-methyl 1-butene should also be one wouldn't it? The answers doesn't list it...

Any help would be superb :)

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
what the?! ... weird AND evil questions...

1) why is it present in feedstock: crude oil is a mixture of hydrocarbons... which may include ethane... why is it present in product: it cannot be cracked to smaller bits (to produce methane + carbon?! doesn't sound possible)...

what can we do to it? well.... use it as a natural gas?! i'm not soo sure on the industrial parts, but its property is not too far from methane...

2) no idea where altona is, but i'd assume that centralised complex minimise the cost of transport + storage + decomposition....

3) no more plastic, no more cars that run on petrol, no more electricity (maybe.... coal is not strictly petrolchemical) no moretar to fix the roads etc etc etc

4) you are right... answer seems wrong..,., if you continue your chemistry endeavour, you'd notice there are more isomers due to the double bonds...

Aerlinn

HSC
Heheh, okies. Thanx for that :)
And other oddities...
1. Give examples from an industrial process to show the significance of the following factors in chemical industry:
-concern for the environment (I can only think of reducing SO2 emissions when manufacturing H2SO4...)
-energy costs (Can only think of recycling energy from exothermic reactions (?))
-availability of raw materials
-transportation costs
2. Name a process in which the choice of raw materials varies, depending upon where the plant is located.
List three factors, apart from location, that influence the choice of raw materials for an industrial process.
3. Outline a situation where the production of, eg. H2SO4 or ethene would be reduced, and how would this affect you?
(The economy going 'crash' maybe? >.<)
4. Bulk quantities of fertilisers ammonium nitrate and ammonium sulfate cost $356 per tonne and $185 per tonne, respectively. Suggest reasons for the lower cost of ammonium sulfate. (Ammonium sulfate is easier to produce?)

Hmm...

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
1) environment: totally right
energy cost - also, you don't have to burn sulfur not more to produce SO2
avaliability of raw - high, as SO2 is a waste product for start
transportation - sulfuric acid plant is usually next to metal smelting plant, reduce the transportation cost

2) hmmm... dunno, winery? next to grape vine factory ? really no idea on the process part.

3) no ethene = no cling wrap, no new plastic bags, no plastic.... try to live 1 month without plastic, you'd see what i mean

4) because sulfuric acid (precursor of ammonium sulfate) is cheaper than nitric acid (precursor of ammonioum nitrate)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)