• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

inkeeper (1 Viewer)

Rippa

HSC
gday, my japanese continues, yr 12 class, has just been givin' the task of writing an email to an inkeeper of a hotel. we have been asked to use senior structure and things like dates/time of visit, no. of nights, cost, meals, sight seeing, directions, faciltiies etc.
It woud be sic if anyone could help me out on some sample sentences or any structure ideas. it might sound lazy comming on here for answers, i had ago at it but im in a class of 8 ranking 5 and hell wanna woop some ass in this task
thnx heaps

P

pLuvia

Use structures like

- ikura desu ka (for costs)
- .... deha docchi ga ii desuka (asking for preference) or ichiban tanoshii desu ka
- direction structures you should know, masu itte, hadari ni magatte etc

Some useful vocabulary

- kenbutsu (sight seeing)
- choushoku (breakfast)
- chuushoku (lunch)
- yuushoku (dinner)
- counting number of nights "baku"
  • ippaku
  • nibaku
  • sanpaku
- nani wo motte kimasuka (what can I bring when I come)

Some ideas

- talk about the different places from the hotel you can go
- what is the most popular thing
- what kind of hotel is it

That should get you started

Last edited by a moderator:

Rippa

HSC
Thanks heaps, this is what i said.

Konichiwa
i am inquiring about a ryokan in osaka. For 1 person, on 20000 yen per night. From the 8th of october till the 15th. ishyokan no yoteidesu (my teacher told me to put this here but i dont know what it means). Are there any rooms?. Are there any famous places near by. What time is check in and out. Are meals included. Are there any western style facilities. How far is it from the airport. Do u know wen the danjiri festival is. If so, is it close by.

Thankyou.

i have now been asked to play the role of the inkeeper and reply to these...like saying.

Yes, there is one room available on the 8th of october till the 15th. it costs 10 000 per night. you will be staying in a japanese style room and sleeping on a futon. yes there is a famous festival on nearby called the danjiri festival. check in is at 10am on the 8th and check out is at 10am on the 15th. Japanese style Meals are included. Western style meals are not included. No, there are not any western style facilities available. The airport is 32 kms from the ryokan. it takes 15mins on the train. the danjiri festival starts on the 9th of october. It is very close to the ryokan. about 2 mins.

Can anyone translate this in the simplist way possible, using senior structure and formal language.
cheers!!

rhia

salty
HSC
Rippa said:
Thanks heaps, this is what i said.

Konichiwa
i am inquiring about a ryokan in osaka. For 1 person, on 20000 yen per night. From the 8th of october till the 15th. ishyokan no yoteidesu (my teacher told me to put this here but i dont know what it means). Are there any rooms?. Are there any famous places near by. What time is check in and out. Are meals included. Are there any western style facilities. How far is it from the airport. Do u know wen the danjiri festival is. If so, is it close by.

Thankyou.

i have now been asked to play the role of the inkeeper and reply to these...like saying.

Yes, there is one room available on the 8th of october till the 15th. it costs 10 000 per night. you will be staying in a japanese style room and sleeping on a futon. yes there is a famous festival on nearby called the danjiri festival. check in is at 10am on the 8th and check out is at 10am on the 15th. Japanese style Meals are included. Western style meals are not included. No, there are not any western style facilities available. The airport is 32 kms from the ryokan. it takes 15mins on the train. the danjiri festival starts on the 9th of october. It is very close to the ryokan. about 2 mins.

Can anyone translate this in the simplist way possible, using senior structure and formal language.
cheers!!
i'd just like to make some suggestions, but i won't translte it because i'm only doing beginners and don't want to make your piece seem dumbed down(?):

give a name to the ryoukan, fake or taken from somewhere else: e.g., higashiyama, nakata, basic japanese names, so that you can refer to it rather than just ' ryoukan' or ' the ryoukan'. you could also give it a location relative to well known places, e.g. in the toukyou or kyouto area, and then that way you could also make references to particular train lines if you wanted.

in regards to the inkeeper's response, i'm not sure of how you'd want to translate it, but it seems a bit ' harsh' for him to be telling the potential customer that 'you WILL be staying in... such and such a room'. rather, he could say that ' our rooms are like... ' and rather than just saying ' western style' facilities, you might like to be more explicit, and specify what sort of facilities you're after, e.g. toilet, laundry.

another suggestion, if you're keen, is to maybe include mention of some sort of tour offered by the ryokan in the response of the inkeeper. he could reply by saying that the ryoukan had tours to the festival in question.

one last thing is to specify what kind of room, e.g. shingaru, daburu, tsuin no heya.

がんばって下さい*。

P

pLuvia

It's better if you try and translate and just post it up and other members will proof read it for you. You learn that way instead of someone else just writing it for you.

If you want to be even more specific with your Ryoukan actually research and name and place. Makes life easier when you translate it and don't have to make up things.

"Konichiwa". Since you are talking to another person who is sort of "higher" than you, don't be informal by saying "Konichiwa". Say like "Ohayogozaimasu" or whatever.

With the structure of your "conversation" actually make it into a conversation, like real life. You're basically making an essay since you asked all questions at once and then answered it all at once.

Hope that helped

Rippa

HSC
Thank you all so much... this is what i have writtin with your help. There is definatly stuff that needs to be changed or whatever so please tell me.

Email to inkeeper...

boku wa kyoto de higashiyama ryokan o sagashiteimasu. yosan wa futari de ichibaku 20000 yen desu. 8th of october kara 15th made ishyokan no yoteidesu. heya ga arimasuka. tokoro ku ni yuumeinatokoro ga arimasuka. check-in to check-out ha nanji desuka.are meals included. are there any western style facilities. hikoujyo kara to oidesuka. danjiri matsuri ha itsu ka shiteimasuka. ryokan kara chikai tokoro desuka.

inkeeper emailing back..

kyoto wa kankou ....dakara, hotel wa takai ka moshiremasen, demo sono ryokan ga yasuidesu. ( as kyoto is a popular place, hotels are expensive, but this ryokan is cheap). futari de ichibaku 5000 yen guraidesu. hai heya ga arimasu. gomenasai, tokoro ku ni yuumei na tokoro ga arimasen. keredomo totemo yuumei na matsuri ga arimasu. matsuri no namae wa higashiyama banodori. check-in de 'half past 10' guraidesu. check-out de 'halfpast 9' guraidesu. hai, nihon shyokudesu. demo ' western style meals' ga arimasen. 'western style meals' betaka tara, tokoro kuni ii restraunt ga arimasu. restruant no namae wa OZ- tower desu.
HIKOUKI HE NO TAKA (directions to airport)???
1) busu wa ryokan kara denshyaeki made sanbun guraikakarimasu.
2)JR.shinkansen ha denshya eki kara kyoto made sanjuuroku-pun guraikakarimasuga, rokusen ichihyaku yen imasu.
3)JR.denshya ha kyoto kara hikouki (aitport?) made 1hr15min guraikakarimasuga, sansen yonhyaku kyuujuu yen imasu.

'I now wanted to say... sorry but the danjiri festival is in osaka, but the higashiyama banodori festival is on. whilst you are staying the festival will be taking place in the ryokan street. it is a very fun outing at no cost... i cant see how to go about it though.

abcd9146

HSC
about the "yoteidesu" thing:
"yotei suru" is to plan/arrange
therefore "yotei" is plan/arrange

from the start
why would you he searching for "higashiyama ryokan" if you are already email them?
十月八日 <- remember to use these :)
十月十四日
what does "tokoro ku ni" mean?
ryokan kara chikai tokoro desuka. - ryokan ni chikaimasuka. (is what i would do, but im not a pro...)

not sure if kankou = popular
sono = the/that; kono = this

for "called" use "toiu" ie.
keredomo higashiyama banodori toiu totemo yuumei na matsuri ga arimasu.

directions to airport = hikoujyo he no ikikata (lit. way to go to the airport)

also, i always thought an "eki" was implied as a train station
after the prices, i THINK you put "desu" (at least i would)

your last sentence:
すみません。その�*んじり�*りは大阪にいますけど、東山ばのどり�*りがあります。泊まっている間、その�*りは旅館道にいます。とても楽しいし、お金もかからないからすごく人気があります。
EDIT:
damn, the jap doesnt come up properly for me... i wrote:
sumimasen. sono danjiri matsuri ha oosaka ni imasu kedo, higashiyama banodori matsuri ga arimasu. (this part sounds wrong) tomatte iru aida, sono matsuri ha ryokan michi ni imasu. totemo tanoshiishi, okane mo kakaranai kara sugoku ninki ga arimasu.

or something like that...

ALSO, dont exactly copy my stuff, i rushed it and some of it sounds wrong, AND unless you totally understand what i wrote, then don't copy it (actually you shouldn't either way). just use this as a guide, and build upon it!!! and another point. use heaps of Senior Structures, just shove them in, i always do :)

Last edited:

rhia

salty
HSC
i'll add a few more suggestions, in addition to abcd9146's.

'heya ga arimasu' → 'aite imasu ka'
because as it's a ryokan, it obviously has rooms, but perhaps it doesn't have any vacancies

check-in de 'half past 10' guraidesu. check-out de 'halfpast 9' → chekkuin wa, gozen jyuuji-han de, chekkuauto wa, gogo kuji han desu.

hai, nihon shyokudesu. demo ' western style meals' ga arimasen. 'western style meals' betaka tara, tokoro kuni ii restraunt ga arimasu. restruant no namae wa OZ- tower desu. →
menyuu wa, washoku desu. demo, youshoku ga tabetakattara, OZ-TOWER toiu ii yoshoku no resutoran wa ryoukan kara chikai desu. ("as for the menu, it's japanese style. but, if you'd like western style, there's a nice western style restaurant called oz-tower not far from the ryokan.")

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)