Inspiration Thread (2014 cohort)! (1 Viewer)

Moeeyy_

HSC
Re: Inspiration Thread (2013 cohort)!

hey,
Im doing poetry on obsessive love, but at the moment everythings come to a standstill and im just dying to write short stories! My teacher kind of pushed me into writing poetry instead of short stories which i find a lot easier to just...get stuff down on the page. Research is fun but writing is hard haha but i'll try and stick with this. Im just finding it hard to show how im using authors etc in my own style of writing. Journal entries kind of stopped during the holidays so i'll have to get back to that!
During the holidays I only did 2 journal entries, just keep doing them regularly now you'll be fine :) Research is fun but now is the time to start writing :/ Write some things for practice, even some little drafts, name them something stupid and build something. That could even be used for your actual major work..

Before I wrote what is now my intro, i wrote "INSANELY SIMPLE & STUPID" for a heading. It started off slowly but as I gained momentum in writing it, I found that I could use it and now it's part of my major work. I went back and fixed up the start and now it's perfect for my intro.

Starting is the hardest thing to do tbh

suprwoman101

HSC

thought I'd check how everyone else is going with 6 days to go!

I think I'm just going to feel the biggest relief when this beast is handed in.... but I'm predicting a few late nights and a lot of caffeine over the week.....

plenty of editing still to be done!

Moeeyy_

HSC

thought I'd check how everyone else is going with 6 days to go!

I think I'm just going to feel the biggest relief when this beast is handed in.... but I'm predicting a few late nights and a lot of caffeine over the week.....

plenty of editing still to be done!
finished my major work last night. starting my reflection statement now. LOL

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Welcome to all our new shiny 2014ers undertaking EE2.

Please feel free to introduce what type of majors you are on and rally each everyone on this journey. The summer hols are a great time to write a chunk of the beast

I'll leave you with this Sylvia Plath quote (ATB people please groan nowww):
"And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt."

Saturday

HSC
it's funny how unhelpful quotes about writing sound until you actually have to write 8000 words for your hsc :)

i'm saturday, i'm writing dystopian short stories for my major work. school expects first draft done by the time i get back in term 1 so i have a lot of defeating self-doubt ahead of me

historia

HSC
school expects first draft done by the time i get back in term 1 so i have a lot of defeating self-doubt ahead of me
You'll be right, my school is the same and i've got to keep reminding myself that I just need to get pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) at this stage and not be too critical of my own work. I usually prefer writing in long blocks, but i've started trying to make them more structured by outlining what I want to have accomplished by the end of this session and it really seems to help. The whole process seems a lot less daunting when you break it down into little pieces. Best of luck :D

Annemiekeee

HSC
I'm embarking on the short story journey for Extension 2 and I can definitely agree that yes, starting is the hardest part by far!

My piece is a satire, exploring the impact of consumerism on a rural environment/community and the deterioration of and detachment from nature as a result. I also hope to question who is really to blame, as we as a consumers have that choice not to participate. The main character comes to realise her manipulation and leaves, however, the alternative isn't any better and she returns to become even more consumed.

I've written aprox. 1000 words to date, which really isn't that good considering I should really be having an entire draft done by the end of the summer holidays, but I am really excited to continue- I plan to manipulate structure by placing advertisements and slogans, etc. (of my own creation and as related to that moment in the story) interrupting the prose throughout to show the unnatural effects on everyday life, possibly becoming more frequent by the end of the story.

I've been using my journal a lot, though i'm a little bit lost as to the depth of research I should be doing... I've gathered notes from related texts and have read several satirical novels, links to prelimary and HSC courses, etc. but if someone could just clarify the type of research you're doing and how much and how deep, if that makes sense? haha

As for the other English's, I really enjoy Advanced and am balancing that well with Extension 1 and 2, though I wish I didn't have to do 1 (science fiction), I love this genre, but class can get a bit dry... I came first in both English's in year 11 though, so hope to achieve that again this year along with Extension 2, for the Viva I got 10/10, SO i'm hopeful, but my story probably won't be that great :/

So that's what I'm doing, sorry for the length of that information... best of luck to you all!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)