Insulators - Looking for a easily obtainable and inexpensive insulator to decrease... (1 Viewer)

heyy13

HSC
... error in a prac i'm writing.

The largest source of error in my prac as it stands is the heat that will be lost to the enviroment. I'm investigating triglycerides and the effect of double bonds on combustion(if there is one; i'm assuming there will be). I've and idea of what i'm doing but i have an enormous potential source of error in lost heat.

So what i'm asking of the members here is any ideas for inexpensive easily obtainable things i can use as isulation around the beaker. Or any other ideas about how to restrict this error.

Oh and this is my first post, nice to be here. ^__^​

Last edited:

idling fire

HSC
Err... welcome!

I assume you're trying to make a calorimeter...? In which case you may have thought of using a copper beaker, some sort of lid (cardboard) and sticking the thermometer through that, and tinfoil insulation round the outside... then taking into account the specific heat capacity of each of those.

- all that's still rather dodgy though.

heyy13

HSC
idling fire said:
Err... welcome!

I assume you're trying to make a calorimeter...? In which case you may have thought of using a copper beaker, some sort of lid (cardboard) and sticking the thermometer through that, and tinfoil insulation round the outside... then taking into account the specific heat capacity of each of those.

- all that's still rather dodgy though.
Essentially. But yeah that does sound rather dodgy but it does give me afew more options to think about. Thanks for the imput.

Affinity said:
get a thermos
Completely impractical as i will need to heat the liquid inside, but thanks for the imput. :3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)