Integrating texts (1 Viewer)

tashl

HSC
So I understand that integrating your texts so that your response is structured around ideas and not texts shows a more sophisticated style of writing... But how exactly would one go about it? I'm attempting to re-work my journeys essay (a bit late, I'm aware) and I'm struggling with the structure of each paragraph.

For instance, if I choose to discuss one core and one related text in the same paragraph, which structure is preffered?:

a) alternating between texts (i.e. one point on core, followed by one point on related, then another point on core, another on related, etc.) --> provided all the points have some form of link

b) first half on core, second half on related (i.e. discussing a few points on core text, then a few points on related) --> therefore there would only be one primary link between the two texts

Help would be much appreciated :)

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
There is no preferred structure. I would choose the easier one to you. I think I heard this advice many time from my teacher and this website.

tashl

HSC
Yeah I prefer the first way although I'm worried it might become distracting for the marker if I swing back and forth between texts so often.. I don't want to detract meaning from the texts just because of some silly structural error.

N

Nicola1616

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Firsly I wouldn't devote less than 60% of the essay to your prescribed text - it should predominate.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]There's a couple of ways to structure an essay – well two basic ones I think – you can go:[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]this text says this[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]this one says this[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]and this one adds this[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]So that way you keep the texts together. The other way is:[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]1. central idea :all or a selection of the texts[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]2. central idea: all or a selection of the texts[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]3. central idea: blah[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]First one works better I think when you are not dealing with different themes but building a more and more comprehensive view of one idea – say you're trying to build up a comprehensive discussion about how a number of different composers construct meaning around the same central idea – I'd keep the texts together then. It's like the texts or the composers, become the umbrella to each paragraph (or two) and your discussion is about how each one offers something unique or the same thing in a unique way- that's the second option you've written I think[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]THe other way works much better when you are discussing different themes. Then - to keep the cogency of your argument you need to develop the different themes or ideas as one so they become the umbrella (ella ella, sorry) and the texts, or aspects of them, that relate to your point at that time are used as support.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]So if the question is like "what's the best childrens book?" You go:[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]-'Green eggs and Ham' is pretty good and this is why[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]-'Spot' is heaps cool too for these reasons[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]-'Babar' is also good for these different reasons[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]But if its -"what are the most important ways in which children's book engage readers, you go:[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]-illustration is important as evidenced by 'Babar' and 'Green eggs and Ham'[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]-laguage is really important like this in 'Spot' and also this sort in 'Babar'[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]-theme or story really matters and kids love animals such as in ...[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I think I'm digging myself into a hole but I hope this helps - most essays will lend themselves to being organised both ways so it does matter most which way suits your thesis.[/FONT]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)