• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Integration 2005 6c)ii) (1 Viewer)

dolbinau

HSC
This is on the 2005 HSC paper.

I don't understand how when you find the volume you don't divide it by two (because only half is shaded). Is it because it's rotated? If I was finding just the area would it be half?

Azreil

HSC
Whether you rotate the entire area, or the half that is shaded, you will still come up with the same volume.

Put it this way: If you had a semi circle, and you used that to cut a sphere of play doh, you'd get the same volume to if you used a circle. You do a complete rotation, which is why you wouldn't come up with a hemisphere.

If you were finding the area of the shaded part, you'd go from y=12->y=(intercept) under y=12-2x^2 + y=(intercept)->y=o under y=x^2

dolbinau

HSC
Regarding Volume - Cool. I get it.

Regarding Area, so between those points would also take into consideration the shaded area is bound by the Y axis?

When you go from y= 0->4 (intercept) of say x^2, why doesn't area of the 2nd quadrant get calculated? (I think this is just the rule but still an explanation would be nice)

Last edited:

Azreil

HSC
I think what you're asking is that why it doesn't take into account the area where y is negative.

I believe it's because an integral is the area bounded by two curves (hear me out). In this case, it is the are bounded by y=x^2 and y=0. You know how there is a rule:
A=∫f(x) dx - ∫g(x)dx
=∫f(x)-g(x) dx

Replace the g(x) with 0 (as it is in this example) and you have
A=∫f(x)

Which is bounded by f(x) and 0.

Does that make sense?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)