Integration Question (1 Viewer)

SB257426

Very Important User
HSC
I came across an integral that my teacher gave me to do. I have an answer but am unsure if my answer is correct. Other softwares (wolfram alpha and symbolab) are giving me different answers, but I suspect they are algebraically equivalent since they probably have different constants of integration.

Here is my answer:

Screen Shot 2023-03-12 at 7.11.17 pm.jpg

I would appreciate it if someone could verify this for me

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
There are other ways to write the answer like , etc., but whichever way you write it, it should have an inverse trig function.

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
Here are 2 methods.

Method 1 - trig substitution

Method 2 - rationalise the numerator

Notice this differs from the previous answer. However you can see that and differ by a constant by showing that and hence the 2 answers only differ by a constant.

Last edited:

SB257426

Very Important User
HSC
Here are 2 methods.

Notice this differs from the previous answer. However you can see that and differ by a constant by showing that and hence the 2 answers only differ by a constant.
Thanks once again for your reply!!! I wanted to try a unique method so I did use rationalise the numerator instead of trig sub. Referring to my working l, I made a silly algebra mistake resulting to my answer. I attempted it once more and got your answer :)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Here are 2 methods.

Got the same answer as in your Method-2, using almost the same approach. Didn't post as I was not sure if my answer was correct.

Last edited:

s97127

HSC
I came across an integral that my teacher gave me to do. I have an answer but am unsure if my answer is correct. Other softwares (wolfram alpha and symbolab) are giving me different answers, but I suspect they are algebraically equivalent since they probably have different constants of integration.

Here is my answer:

View attachment 37966

I would appreciate it if someone could verify this for me
There are a few integration solver on the internet with step by step instruction:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)