• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Interested in Computer courses (1 Viewer)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Just interested...how much people are thinking of applying for computer science, computer engineering or software engineering for 2005?

Winston

HSC
me.... i mean im in comp sci already hahha

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Is it good & does it have a pre-requisite of chemistry cause thats what starting to push me away from doing engineering at sydney. I know i can take the chem course but im lazy

Winston

HSC
Computer engineering sucks coz it has nothting to do with software development

software engineering has physics in it and electrical stuff, its silly i hate it... coz my friend does it... i do comp sci... and its the most flexible degrees... chemistry isnt required in any of the courses u mentioned above.

Winston

HSC
acmilan1987 said:
Do you do the advanced computer science one or the normal one
Normal... there's no difference in both, except when u graduate it says Advanced on your degree, which also means nothing, cause it means you did the Advance Software subject in the course, which means nothing, cause a normal BCST student can apply to do the adv software, like i did... which also means nothing again, cause they dont teach much difference compared to the normal level, maybe one topic more... and faster... basically the Adv one is more demanding, because you have to maintain a distinction average, or else you get kicked out of the course and you have to move to normal.

Winston

HSC
acmilan1987 said:
Like there are heaps of electives
Yeah heaps, this is how it is first year for both semesters...

2 compulsory Maths
1 compulsory Software subject
2 free electives (they encourage you to pick IT related electives, so that if you decide to transfer to BIT, it would all be fine still)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Is there anywhere that you can get the actual list of courses. Unlike other unis, the USYD faculty handbook doesnt have this for computer science

Winston

HSC
acmilan1987 said:
Is there anywhere that you can get the actual list of courses. Unlike other unis, the USYD faculty handbook doesnt have this for computer science
List of courses for what?

Winston

HSC
acmilan1987 said:
I mean the actual subjects done in computer science
It's listed in the science faculty handbook... but you can't do many of them, because they're for second year and third year... and they're changing a bit of the subs next year.

ErgoSum

HSC
Software Engineering

Man Winston
Software engineering rules because it has electrical, physics in it.
The amount of things you can do if you have a) electrical knowledge b) physics c) programming ability is massive and much more interesting. I for one like the current layout of the degree and I would get MASSIVELY pissed if they change it next year to a more I.T orientated degree. Its an engineering degree damn it and the job range is about 100% more interesting than if you have only computer science skills alone.

my 0.02c

memo

it really depends on what you want to do at the end of it all. If you are interested in computing alone it may be wiser to do computer science as I think the extra electical and physics they teach you in software enginnering isnt really necessary if you were to program or maintain a network for a living.

I have noticed quite a lot of people have changed from comp, soft engineering to computer science in 2nd year and even more in 3rd year I suspect the difficulty and inflexibility of the degree does not pay off for some of them.

That said engineering does have a wider job range and with the current state of the industry unless you have a real passion for computers it would be quite risky to do IT alone.

Also with advanced degrees if you can maintain your position in the degree I'm quite sure your chances of being hired would be much higher than a graduate of a normal degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)