• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Interior Decoration Help (1 Viewer)

Skeeta

HSC
I'm jazzing up my room, new bed, new paint etc etc etc

i like this
http://www.target.com.au/html/catalogue0496/0496e24.htm

obviously not with pink walls because it will make me yak. I'm not the biggest fan of pink but i really like the textures etc. Probably get brown/neutral walls (will go with the gold on the bed) and um yeah

OR

i was thinking about getting a red suede feature wall, with neutral other walls, and a deep brown bed thingy and like

help me please

i suck at this shit

*hopeful*

HSC
i've got that bed...but not from target with a purplish theme just like the pic on the right

but red and brown look nice together, or even red, black and white ?

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
you could go with a red suede-effect wall with white and black furniture.

Or you could have the red wall with the gold bed and the rest of the walls a light cream colour. If you had other furnture in you room stain it a dark walnut colour. In that situation i'd probably go for a cream and gold bed spread accented with red pillows.

Edit: this also ooks nice:

and it's got no feature wall by the look of it. Basically those pictures on the wall are the focus.

What you do is entirely dictated by what you want to keep, how much money you have and your personal style. Are you modern, classic or eclectic in your taste?

Last edited:

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
i would love a feature wall in my room, but i think its too small, and would kind of box it in, and make my room look even smaller.

I want to re-paint my room green. I love greens.

yeah, i didnt really help. good luck with it all Skeeta!

Skeeta

HSC
i went and saw the bedspread and it looked a little turkish delight-ish...

I have NO idea what i want. My room atm is so terribly teenyboppy, bright yellow walls, white furniture, bright blue and purple striped bedspread with red hearts on it

*spew*

i want something a little more grown up, something i will happily take with me when i move out. I dont have a "budget" per-se, but paint doesnt matter coz its basically the same price no matter what colour anyway. Bedspreads up to $80, furniture is up to my parents (with my input) coz i'll probably get it for my birthday, i guess they'll buy good stuff so i can take it with me when i move out.

the problem is, every time i see a bedroom i like (say the one the highwayman posted) it isnt realistic for me since, i'll have a desk etc.

meh i'll keep you posted when i get more inspiration.

its gonna be fab :uhhuh:

HSC
N/A
ooh, my bedroom is a bit like that.

I've got that same sort of rocco-style bed (mine's dark brown though) so I've got this dark brown antique-looking bedside table too. My bedspread's a really rich purple with some embroidery on it, so I've gone "eh, what the hell" and got this rich red bedside lamp and gold curtains :p oh, and I have neutral coloured walls (figured there was enough colour going on already, lol).

That pink bed looks like it might go really nicely with a rich purple feature wall, or even a nice teal/deep green-jade coloured one :)

EDIT: With the whole desk thing, I totally sympathise - normal bedrooms for teenagers aren't really big enough to have an ENTIRE room theme unless you're getting a new desk as well :p What I did was to at least have one part of my room that was all nicely decorated and stuff - so in my room, there's one corner where my bed/lamp etc is and nothing else to detract from it :)

HSC
Shell said:
i would love a feature wall in my room, but i think its too small, and would kind of box it in, and make my room look even smaller.
Use a mirror on the wall. :uhhuh:

Skeeta, have you got a favourite object (or objects) like a painting, ornament, or something? maybe it could act as inspiration. I wouldnt choose anything Ultra-ultra modern, furniture wise, because it will date really quickly.

Is your room big enough to have the desk fit comfortably? or is it a bit crowded? is the bed double or single? do you have a preference for either?

In the pic i posted earlier i just noticed that even though the walls and quilt are the same colour, the bedding is made to look individual through the use of texture. the room overall looks calming and clean rather than busy.

Find pictures of what you like in furniture catalogues or something and then go from there?

EDIT: Try these sites. they might help you see how things look or give you ideas of what you do or dont like.

http://www.603010.com.au/ (plan a room in a multitude of different colour schemes to see what works)
http://www.dulux.com.au/html/textureint/ (for the feature wall. There's more than suede effect paint)
http://www.domayne.com.au/ (look in the bedding section. they also have a virtual bedroom you can tour which is pretty classy)
http://interiordec.about.com/od/bedrooms/a/indexbedrooms.htm (might be helpful. has a lot of articles on decorating bedrooms)

Last edited:

Always

HSC
I LOVE decorating! :eek: It's so much fun! I'm dying to re-do my room (right now it's very cream/dark pink).

Instead of painting one wall a different colour you could adorn it with decorations instead. That way you can use different colours and textures and choose items that really reflect your personality.

Flip through decor mags to get a few ideas. I've noticed that walls these days are usually a neutral colour but bedding and decorations are used to give a room personality.

It really depends on your personal taste.

Skeeta

HSC
I'm over the bedcovers when i went and saw them they were so incredibly bright that it makes my eyes bleed. I do like that look though, with the different textures, colours etc.

Mums decided that i am not allowed to have a dark wall anymore, (i was after maroon, charchoal, purple, burgundy) because she remembered when we bought our house it had a black wall, and it took about 14 coats of paint to cover it.

I think the focal point will have to be the bedspread, when i fall in love with one i think it will determine the rest of my room. I'll have to get looking... I did see this gorgeous brown and gold one, but it was incredibly expensive.

Oh and i have a single bed at the moment, HOWEVER, when i buy the bedspread/quilt i'll have to buy queen size, because for my 21st i'm gettin a queen size bed. Furniture is pissing me off, my rooms the size of a normalnot HUGE, but its no way tiny. It fits a chest of drawers, an enormous desk (almost the size of my bed), a bed and a built in wardrobe comfortably. So yeah i just have to get my act together and figure what i want. I dont want boring though - i want something with a bit of wow factor.

The rest of my house is neutral walls with timber floors and furniture - it looks like a magazine house and it makes me want to bleed.

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
Skeeta said:
I dont want boring though - i want something with a bit of wow factor.
wow as in shocking colours or elements?
or "wow that looks nice"...

Since you have to stick with neutral colour walls then it's hard to enhance that wow factor as the walls are a dominant element of the room if they are done nicely. Also a dark featuring wall would also make your room appear smaller/narrow, depends on the shape/size of the room.

In your case, it's best to buy little stuff for your room instead of painting the walls.
Have a look at Ikea stuff, it's cheap and trendy..
check out their matt glass lamps which are about $20

Use of paintings/photo frames can make the room look stylish as well. Remember to use odd number of frames (eg, 3 or 5 etc) because they appear more natural to your eyes.

Skeeta

HSC
haha it was the ikea catalogue that got me started

i am allowed to have a "feature wall" but i was initially after a dark blood red which was banned.

I can have purples, greens, oranges, greys, mauvish colours (but not bright),

basically not solid red or black. but yeah i'm just searching around and being a bit of a flip.

And a "wow you're pretty good at putting stuff together" way

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
greys and purple hues are good...

How about not having a"pattern wall as a freaturing wall?
eg, having green leaves/vines painted on your existing creamy/neutral walls?

I still think little bits and pieces of frames/small furnitures are good.

:)

Skeeta

HSC
oh. my. god

i LOVE that idea

Ok i have it all planned. Browny/neutral walls with a brown/grey a few shades darker in an awesome pattern over the top. Mum wont kill me because it wont be a black wall. I can get some transperancies made up, my dad has an overhead projector somewhere, i can project the pattern onto my wall - then paint it on

hrmm i want like an outline or something. Leaves are good, but could get a bit hard. Swirly nothingness is also fab :uhhuh:

oh wow :eek: i need to find myself some creative abstract stuff right MEOW!

:shy:

Skeeta

HSC
okay i really really like something like this

i dont know whether it'd be a total bitch do tho.. in theory it doesnt seem so bad :confused:

EDIT: or if that is a bit "much"

then an outline of this (not in these colours of course)

i suppose if it ends up in disaster we can just paint over it in the darker colour and then its just a solid feature wall

*writes proposal for parents*

Last edited:

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
the second pattern would seem more "funky" than "natural/mature/classy/whatever" :p That teenybopper feel still remains there slightly...

I suggested leaves/vines due to ur timber flooring and your creamy walls,
your idea of brown colours are good :) Green (army green) and dark pruple aren't bad with it either! :)
Remember to add diff shades of the same colour when you're doing it (if this is your final) otherwise the swirls don't look lively.

I think I like the first pattern better, not too many swirls tho.

hehe hope this helps!

Skeeta

HSC
yeah methinks i might have a play with photoshop and try to remove some of the swirlies - but i'm really liking it.

oh and i'm repainting the whole room anyway (it needs a new paintjob) so i can get any base colour i want, my parents arent fussed if it matches the rest of the house of not

omigod i'm excited :uhhuh:

HSC
why not paint the swirls on a huge canvas so that if you get sick of them you can simply take it off the wall and replace it with another?

Edit: or instead of painting a feature wall in a dark colour, use a wallpaper instead. You can get some really nice, contemporary wallpapers nowadays. That way, if your parents ever want to re-redecorate then it can be simply removed from the wall using steam.

For example:

Enven though these are actually lampshades, they are made from wallpaper which shows just some of the styles avaliable. I like the one in the bottom row at the centre.

Last edited:

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
wow i love the bottom right one. but not for a whole wall. just for some object, like a lamp. i just love that pattern!!

HSC
i found another nice collection of wallpapers of which the following is my favourite:

It comes in the black/gold shown above as well as silver/grey, gold/turquoise, grey, pistachio green, blue/lilac, yellow, green, bright blue and black.

More here: http://www.jocelynwarner.com/

Oh, and here:
http://www.circafurniture.com/

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)