Internal transfer into combined law/commerce in UNSW or USYD (1 Viewer)

emilychow16

HSC
N/A
hey guys, i'm in year 12 at the moment and i was thinking of doing a bachelor of commerce and then transferring into a bachelor of commerce/law at either USYD or UNSW, as i won't be able to achieve the atar required.

Is it considered difficult to be granted a transfer into combined law at these unis? And which one do you think would be easier to be allowed a transfer? (and also i've heard about the new law entrance exam being introduced at unsw for 2017)
Do you think it's worth the risk going to one of these unis instead of going to another where i can get into comm/law straight away?

My predicted atar is around 99 if that helps.

Thank you :)

humanitieslover

HSC
Hey :)

I wouldn't say it's extremely difficult, but it does require some hard work. If you work consistently well in your first year of Uni and achieve around a Distinction average, it's definitely achievable. It might be helpful for you to ring up and actually ask the faculty about the new law entrance exam and how it will impact future transferees. In my experience, they are quite helpful! If you are really passionate about pursuing law, it could be a better option to just start studying law at a different University first. For example, go to UTS and study Business/Law and then apply for external transfer. This way- if you don't get in, you're still studying law. Also, USYD apparently doesn't favour internal transfers over external, so you're on even ground if you're aiming for USYD. UNSW of course has the 100 spot guarantee for internals (but again, I'm not sure if this still stands for 2017).

With your predicted ATAR being 99, another way of thinking is to just push a little harder to get that 99.5 for USYD! If you put your mind to it, I'm sure it's attainable! Try not to get into the mindset of "I won't achieve the required ATAR" because most of the time you'll surprise yourself and do better than expected. If this happens and you miss the cut off by just a little, you'll be disappointed! So just work harder now :D

Also, for UNSW, I think the new entrance test takes into consideration ATAR + LET. So, with your predicted 99, if you do well in the entrance exam you could definitely get into UNSW Law!

Then again, if you really don't get the ATAR/test marks- definitely not the end of the world and transferring/attending a different Uni to study law are both awesome options :)

Good luck!!!

Last edited:

emilychow16

HSC
N/A
Hey :)

I wouldn't say it's extremely difficult, but it does require some hard work. If you work consistently well in your first year of Uni and achieve around a Distinction average, it's definitely achievable. It might be helpful for you to ring up and actually ask the faculty about the new law entrance exam and how it will impact future transferees. In my experience, they are quite helpful! If you are really passionate about pursuing law, it could be a better option to just start studying law at a different University first. For example, go to UTS and study Business/Law and then apply for external transfer. This way- if you don't get in, you're still studying law. Also, USYD apparently doesn't favour internal transfers over external, so you're on even ground if you're aiming for USYD. UNSW of course has the 100 spot guarantee for internals (but again, I'm not sure if this still stands for 2017).

With your predicted ATAR being 99, another way of thinking is to just push a little harder to get that 99.5 for USYD! If you put your mind to it, I'm sure it's attainable! Try not to get into the mindset of "I won't achieve the required ATAR" because most of the time you'll surprise yourself and do better than expected. If this happens and you miss the cut off by just a little, you'll be disappointed! So just work harder now :D

Also, for UNSW, I think the new entrance test takes into consideration ATAR + LET. So, with your predicted 99, if you do well in the entrance exam you could definitely get into UNSW Law!

Then again, if you really don't get the ATAR/test marks- definitely not the end of the world and transferring/attending a different Uni to study law are both awesome options :)

Good luck!!!
thanks so much for your advice, appreciate it! :)

turntaker

HSC
thats what everybody who does commerce wants to do lol.
it will be challenging.

from what I have heard uni is a completely different animal to hsc.

emilychow16

HSC
N/A
thats what everybody who does commerce wants to do lol.
it will be challenging.

from what I have heard uni is a completely different animal to hsc.
yeah i've heard, that's why I don't know if I should take the risk and go to one of these unis

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
y the fuck does everyone want to do law. save yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)