Internal Transfer into USYD Combined Law (1 Viewer)

student6625

HSC
Hey guys, I really need your help. Basically the situation is, I have just finished my first year of undergraduate study at USYD and I would really like to transfer into a Combined Law degree.

I completed my HSC in 2010 and received an ATAR of 99.15 while also achieving an HD average (although only just) in my Units of Study throughout both semesters in my first year at uni. However, I've heard that USYD Law transfer is ultra-competitive so I'm just wondering how much of a chance I've got of making it in? I know the requirement is a 97 ATAR + Distinction Average but in reality, you'll need to achieve much better than that to get into such a competitive and prestigious course.

If anyone's currently studying Law at USYD and got in through transfer after 1st year (whether internal or external), would it also be okay for you to just tell me how you went in your UAI/ATAR as well as your first year uni grades? Even though I've applied through UAC already, I would still like to have a rough idea about my own chances.

Thanks so much for your help! :smile:

student6625

HSC
You should get an offer in the first round.

Last year a minimum ATAR of 98.6 and Distinction average (GPA 6.0) was required to get an offer in the first round and your ATAR and GPA exceed both of these.

For more info it's worthwhile checking out: http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=253865
Oh really? Do you mean first round as in the November Round or the Early January Round? I checked on the UAC website and apparently USYD doesn't give out any offers until the Early Jan Round at the earliest. I'll check in a couple of days, but I think it'll probably come out in the Main Round.

Thanks for the link as well!

diligent

HSC
N/A
Oh really? Do you mean first round as in the November Round or the Early January Round? I checked on the UAC website and apparently USYD doesn't give out any offers until the Early Jan Round at the earliest. I'll check in a couple of days, but I think it'll probably come out in the Main Round.

Thanks for the link as well!
Meant main round...good luck (just so you know, unless you did second year subjects in the second semester of your first year you won't be able to get a double major in your other course [eg Arts] once you transfer into law as you'll be doing a minimum of two law subjects per semester so as to catch up with those who started in combined law in 2011 - benefit though is your combined law degree will be finished in 5 years - ie you finish at the same time as those who started last year)

student6625

HSC
Meant main round...good luck (just so you know, unless you did second year subjects in the second semester of your first year you won't be able to get a double major in your other course [eg Arts] once you transfer into law as you'll be doing a minimum of two law subjects per semester so as to catch up with those who started in combined law in 2011 - benefit though is your combined law degree will be finished in 5 years - ie you finish at the same time as those who started last year)
Thanks, diligent! Only two more weeks to wait. It's great to hear that I'll be able to finish my Combined Law degree (if I make it in) at the same time as those who started in their first year, I was a bit concerned about being disadvantaged in terms of having to complete the course behind everybody else. I'm also not too worried about having a second major for my other degree, so it should all be fine. Thanks again for your help. :)

Sarah3451

HSC
N/A
I received an ATAR of 99.40 and have a GPA for first year of 6.1, what are my chances of internal transfer into combined law?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)