Internal Transfers??? (1 Viewer)

MrA

Does internal transfers in UTS only take into account uni results for 1st year (GPA Only?)

If not, does that mean if u get in the low nineties, its basically impossible to transfer into combined law?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Internal transfers at UTS will only take into account your uni results from 1st year yes :). So this means your GPA, but more accurately, your WAM (weighted average mark), which is just your average mark for the first year. An average mark of 75 or higher will mean you have a distinction average.

They will also take into account your personal statement, which is like a 1 page statement you write saying why you want to transfer. If your transferring into law then make sure your personal statement is good :). Other than that, I'd say make sure you have at least an average of 75 or above to have a good chance :).

Remember you will be competing with next years UAC students, even if your transferring internally, but a 75 average at uni is like a 90 UAI. I'd say to have a really good chance for law, you should get close or even get a high distinction average (85 or above).

MrA

wow...that sounds extremely difficult :p

any idea how hard it may be to get these kinds of marks? lol

btw, do they have a quota restriction for law?

and, why is it that UTS dont consider ur UAI when transfering (just wondering), when other uni's consider both GPA and UAI?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Well its Law we're talking about here, its one of the highest courses at UTS, so you'll have to work for it :).

Well first year IT I got 2HD's and 6D's if thats any indication. A HD is 85+ and a D is 75+. My WAM was around 82.

Second year was another story :p.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
You added to your post while I was replying.

There is a quota restriction on all courses. Law would have a small quota, hence why its harder to get in. I'm not sure how many people they accept. UTS consider GPA and UAI for external UAC transfers, but only GPA for internal UTS transfers. I think they follow the same process at some other unis too.

MrA

ahh, ok hehe :)

would u consider b.bus as one of the harder or easier courses for first year?

btw, do they "scale" harder courses' marks up for the GPA calc?

/Edit oh, and how many hours would u say u worked per week for that WAM of 82?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
i didn't work that hard, since most of first year was stuff I already had a general idea about or wasn't too hard. IT is one of the easier degrees.

Well BBus isnt too hard in the first year. I'd say you could get a D average in that without too much trouble if you put the effort in. I did the 2 accounting core subjects that you do in first year, and I got a D for both of them. No there is no scaling, its all treated the same as far as I know.

MrA

ok...

how many subjects are there usually in one year?

hehe, sorry about all the quesitions

MrA

Originally posted by jase-REX
Remember you will be competing with next years UAC students, even if your transferring internally, but a 75 average at uni is like a 90 UAI. I'd say to have a really good chance for law, you should get close or even get a high distinction average (85 or above).
does that mean if UAI's rise next year, u'll have to do even better than a D average?

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
Originally posted by MrA
ok...

how many subjects are there usually in one year?

hehe, sorry about all the quesitions
you normally have 8 subjects in first year, 4 in each semester!!

but in later years, you will have less subjects because the higher level subjects will be worth more credit points!

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Na usually a D average is fine :). It depends on how many people want to transfer really.

Its usually 4 subjects per semester yeh, so 8 subjects a year. That's is all the subjects are worth 6 credit points, which is standard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)