• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Internals; do they get scaled? (1 Viewer)

wollongong warrior

HSC
afaik internal marks are only used to determine your rank within your cohort so scaling them doesn't do anything for you

katiekms

HSC
afaik internal marks are only used to determine your rank within your cohort so scaling them doesn't do anything for you
does that mean having an average of 60 and coming first or having an average of 100 and coming first makes no difference? it’s only the rank that counts?

carrotsss

HSC
then what is the internal assessment mark i see in those hsc reaction nsw vids?
it’s a moderated mark which is calculated based on your rankings (and the differences between rankings) and your schools hsc exam performance in the subject. for example if you’re ranked first internally and then the highest exam mark in your school is 90 (which could’ve been gotten by you or someone else), your moderated school assessment mark will then be 90 and that’ll make up half of your overall hsc mark for the subject.

Image.jpg

HSC
So the internal mark people get isnt actually the % they scored??
it’s a moderated mark which is calculated based on your rankings (and the differences between rankings) and your schools hsc exam performance in the subject. for example if you’re ranked first internally and then the highest exam mark in your school is 90 (which could’ve been gotten by you or someone else), your moderated school assessment mark will then be 90 and that’ll make up half of your overall hsc mark for the subject.

FudiddidoAdrian

HSC
wait so lets say i am 4th in a subject yet everyone did poorly in the hsc and the 4th best was 20 percent, will that be my mark if my internals at school were around 80-90 percent?

carrotsss

HSC
wait so lets say i am 4th in a subject yet everyone did poorly in the hsc and the 4th best was 20 percent, will that be my mark if my internals at school were around 80-90 percent?
it won’t be exactly 20 percent because between first and last it’s also based on relative mark differences between rankings etc but on a fundamental level yes, if your whole cohort did badly around that mark area then yes you would get a mark around 20%. this is fair because 80-90% is clearly an inflated mark, the hsc exam shows that your cohort wasn’t actually capable and the in-school assessments were just easy - and if you’re better than those people getting 20%, you should’ve ranked higher than them internally anyway and been able to avoid any influence from them by coming first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)