• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

International science olympiads (1 Viewer)

northofnorth

HSC
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this but I figured you guys would know the most….
I am a SC student now so I still have plenty of time, but I am interested in how to prepare and how to get on the team for one of the international science Olympiads? I am interested in all 3 sciences and maths if you count it. Does anyone have any tips they can PM me or post, so as to get the best score and be ready for the national Olympiads…..i think the Olympiads would be a great experience as a gold medal can open up amazing doors!!!!!!!!!!!
Also when preparing during the prelim year how would it be best to study for school and for the Olympiads, or would studying for the Olympiads basically act for both?:confused:
Thanks guys

random1990

HSC
Not sure about the olympiad, but could you PLEASE MAKE YOUR WRITING BIGGER!! it strains my eyes trying to read it, and i had to lean in pretty close to read it, and my vision is fine!
Anyway good luck finding out, and with the actual olympiad itself!

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
from what i know the science olympiads can be sat if your school offers it. I remember my teachers telling me about it and all i had to do was put my name down and sit it...its like a competetion where u get participation, credit, distinction and high distinction. If you do well enough ( as in smash everyone else) you will get a opportunity to get into the team.

Maths however is different. I know one person in my school who is currently in the maths olympiad team, and from what i heard, entry is just based on good performance in maths. eg competitions etc.

Tests itself are insanely hard...hard as in university science stuff, and not all the bs u learn in yr 11 and 12 with questions containing verbs like "explain, evaluate etc..". Most of the questions are calculations based questions (phys and chem) while bio is more writing based.

Good luck for the science olympiads (y)

Season

HSC
Go for it, I didn't go but I had a friend who went and she had an absolute blast, if you're htinking of science it looks absolutely fantastic, if not you'll meet the most amazing cool people you could find anywhere.

The exam is pretty hard, that said its not impossible, start studying but more importantly get some past papers, they are very useful. The papers are insanely difficult but because of that its not that hard to get a good score in it. I'm pretty sure I screwed most of my paper over but I still managed to get a distinction for chemistry... but wasn't invited to the next level... :(

The science olympiads are starting to move away mroe into problem solving and less factual work, which means its a lot easier, but I'd strongly urge you to get your hands on some previous papers and have a go at them, that's the best way to see what sort of stuff will be in it. Also your teachers should be able to give you a list of topics that are usually in the exam.

I can't recommend these sorts of things enough, I recently got home from something similar and I had an absolute blast, do everything you can to get invovled, you won't regret it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)