• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

International student (1 Viewer)

cupid_dart

HSC
My name is David and I come from Slovenia, a small county in central Europe. Presently I am third grade of a Grammar school. I do not know if that kind of school exist in Australia i.e. Sydney, but it is similar to Hight School. However, next year in May (2007) I will finish Grammar school and just the idea to study in Australia i.e. Sydney makes me feel excited! But there are some problems... I do not know which university should i pick.... I can not decide between the UNSW and The University of Sydney Can you help me with this issue please? I also keep asking me questions like "How will people accep me ther?", "Will I find friends?", etc.... I am very sociable and talkative person. Do you think I will find friends easily?

Thank you for your help!

P.S.: My biggest wish is to study Medicine. I would like to become a doctor i.e. aesthetic surgeon, but I am afraid I won't be accepted;(!
Are there high criteria for those of us who comes from abroad? Thank you once again!

Last edited:

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Well if you want to do undergraduate medicine, UNSW is the choice out of the NSW universities. USYD doesn't offer it.

Abtari

HSC
for international students,

even if u get admission, u have to worry about the fees..

u are not government-subsidised, i.e. u do not get HECS and so u have to pay $36000 a year X 6 = $216000 for the duration of ur course just on tuition fees..

HECS is taken for granted..

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
dont worry you will be accepted and you will love it here
there are heaps of international students
whatever you choose to do etc you cant go wrong
as long as you have the $$$mula

my cousin is here studying aviation as an international student
he is doing pretty well and im sure you would too

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
In terms of studying medicine, for undergraduate students, UNSW is probably easier to get into than USyd.

With fitting in/making friends, UNSW has many international students and there are plenty of international student clubs and societies.

I think students who come from overseas have to do one year of Foundation study, but I am not sure so you should have a look at the UNSW website.
http://www.international.unsw.edu.au/

Affinity

HSC
Grammar Schools.. schools which prepares students for further study, as opposed to techincal schools I suppose?

answering your questions:
Universities ->
University of sydney doesn't offer undergraduate medicine courses.
University of new south wales offers medicine, takes 6 years of study.
There are other universities which also offer medicine, such as melbourne.

About admission in general, if you want to avoid an extra year studying foundation(matriculation) courses, you might want to check with the university if they recognise your secondary qualifications. IB diplomas and a few other foreign qualifications are recognised*:

- New Zealand NCEA Examination
- GCE "A" Level Examination
- Malaysian STPM
- International Baccalaureate
- All India Senior Secondary School Certificate
- Norwegian Upper Secondary School Examination

Medicine is a very competitive course... formally only the best ~5% of graduating highschool students could be considered, and in practice usually the best 1% of local students are admitted. Which translates into a IB score of 34 or up*.

Also, there's something called the Undergraduate Medicine and Health Sciences Admission Test (UMAT), which is basically a psychometric test (like what some companies use to select employees) that local students have to do. Currently, international students outside Australia/NewZealand/Singapore are exempt from this, but you might want to check if the rules changed later.

As for making friends, don't worry.. People are friendly here. It's easy to make friends since everyone's new at the university(ofcourse some will have their school friends around), but generally people will be open during the first semester.

*for official information: http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/medweb.nsf/page/Selection_Intl

Last edited:

cupid_dart

HSC
Hy there!

It's me again:) You guys are great! Thank you for your help!
I would also like to hire apartment but yet I don't know where. So once again I need your helo:)
I was having in plane center or Pyrmont. What do you think? Which part of Sydney is more expensive i.e. prestigious?
I am unfamiliar with the city, and I don't want to pay excessive price for apartment:(

Thank you once again!

Affinity

HSC
It's quite hard to look for a place if you are not here... I would suggest you settle down in a residential college or share a flat near the university for the first year, then look for an apartment.

by teh way to seraphim: how did you know... I didn't know until someone told me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)