• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

International uni transfer (1 Viewer)

Giant Lobster

HSC
Say if I wanna go to Cambridge or Oxford or Yale or somefin world famous... what do I need to do?

And also, say I get a good uai, get into a good course, and later on is accepted by Yale or somethin. Now, will I be able to get into a "good" course there? or do I full downgrade and only scrape into a mediocre one?

Collin

HSC
N/A
Dude was it you who made the Ph.D thread? Anyway apologies if it wasn't. But not to be pessimistic, you have very high ambitions, too high for perhaps realism maybe. Now I don't know your academic integrity and you could be of exorbitant calibre of course, but in general to be accepted in such high international universities, you would have to be pretty damn elite. If I were you, I would just see how you go in year 12 first.. before making any plans for Ph.D, or international transfers or whatever. Study hard this year, and don't let your overly long term ambitions smokescreen your ego, because say you don't do that well.. it could really hurt bad. (Remember, I'm by no means trying to put you down here, I'm just trying to be realistic :))

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
nah, it is just a bludging thing people do [well i do, not sure if its the same for you]. you 'plan' or look at future things coz the present work is too much of a pain.

i have done this in the past few days because i have my finals in a couple of weeks. :(

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by JKDDragon
Dude was it you who made the Ph.D thread? Anyway apologies if it wasn't. But not to be pessimistic, you have very high ambitions, too high for perhaps realism maybe. Now I don't know your academic integrity and you could be of exorbitant calibre of course, but in general to be accepted in such high international universities, you would have to be pretty damn elite. If I were you, I would just see how you go in year 12 first.. before making any plans for Ph.D, or international transfers or whatever. Study hard this year, and don't let your overly long term ambitions smokescreen your ego, because say you don't do that well.. it could really hurt bad. (Remember, I'm by no means trying to put you down here, I'm just trying to be realistic :))
what is wrong with dreaming and being unrealistic?
i say let giant lobster dream if he really wants to.

anyway giant lobster..if you want to apply for the Ivy League american uni's and the big english ones like oxford and cambridge, you need to apply directly to the universities. why do'nt you look at the university sites themselves- they often provide information for international students such as ourselves. obviously, like that dragon person said, you need to be work very hard and be completely dedicated to your field of study.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by johnson
what is wrong with dreaming and being unrealistic?
i say let giant lobster dream if he really wants to.
http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33737

Dreaming about unrealistic goals is a waste of time, and can lead to conditions such as chronic depression later in life, and a sense of worthlessness. I want to be a world famous surgeon, but obviously I lack the aptitude and intelligence, hence I don't waste my time dwelling on such unachievable objectives. Nothing to do with pessimism here, it's all about not letting your ego cloud your judgement.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33737

Dreaming about unrealistic goals is a waste of time, and can lead to conditions such as chronic depression later in life, and a sense of worthlessness. I want to be a world famous surgeon, but obviously I lack the aptitude and intelligence, hence I don't waste my time dwelling on such unachievable objectives. Nothing to do with pessimism here, it's all about not letting your ego cloud your judgement.
dreaming is fine as long as you don't live strictly in your dream world. dreaming ain't about ego mate. it's about being passionate about life and believing in what the heck you want to believe in.

and anyway, what does your reference of giant lobster being burnt out have anything to do with what we're talking about? his 'burning out' is due to his stress over the hsc, not about dreaming of where he wants to be in the future. 'sides, how do you know that they are unrealistic goals for GL.

p.s. your signature really shits me because u have taken it out of context (re: karnevil being a 'clansman').

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
Say if I wanna go to Cambridge or Oxford or Yale or somefin world famous... what do I need to do?

And also, say I get a good uai, get into a good course, and later on is accepted by Yale or somethin. Now, will I be able to get into a "good" course there? or do I full downgrade and only scrape into a mediocre one?
Live 3 years in England before applying to any English universities - your fee goes down to just a few thousand bucks a semester..

ahhh..English universities :)

Giant Lobster

HSC
you have very high ambitions, too high for perhaps realism maybe.
nah that's not part of my ambitions
my ultimate is still the phd :)

im just curious cos i hear of these people getting into ivy league's after first year and knowing some, they weren't all "geniuses". Just wanted to know of the procedure of getting in :)

Giant Lobster

HSC
Actually JKD, im starting to see where you're coming from.
Its about all those threads I started, e.g. BSc in 2 years, the one on a PhD, Actuarial etc
Look, im not crazy, I know my limits. Sif i can get a BSc in 2 yrs.. even if I miraculously could, im not willing to give up my social life. As for this one, getting into ivy league uni's, I just wanted to see what was involved. And having no extracurricular activities, I know i have a 0% chance of success anyway. + I know my academic ability probably isnt good enough if they solely look at that.

And finally, the phd by 25... that's not very ambitious I dont think. Sure, there's a good chance Ill fail or my plans will change during my uni days, but I see that goal as within many ppl's reach.

So really, I'm not dreaming :)
But even if I am, theres nothing wrong with it.
If i bite off more than i could chew, I fall, i fail, its my pain.
That won't happen yet though... my "goals" are still quite humble :)

santaslayer

HSC
If you were doing the IB now as a hsc student you would od been able to do courses at overseas universities, depending on your mark of course.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by johnson
dreaming is fine as long as you don't live strictly in your dream world. dreaming ain't about ego mate. it's about being passionate about life and believing in what the heck you want to believe in.

and anyway, what does your reference of giant lobster being burnt out have anything to do with what we're talking about? his 'burning out' is due to his stress over the hsc, not about dreaming of where he wants to be in the future. 'sides, how do you know that they are unrealistic goals for GL.

p.s. your signature really shits me because u have taken it out of context (re: karnevil being a 'clansman').
Dreaming is not about ego? That's a pretty objective generalization there. Dreaming and dwelling on unrealistic expectations can be fundamentally be spawned from ambitious egos.

The relevance of his burning out thread is that it demonstrates his faultering of his studies. A student expecting to achieve a phenomenal result such as the elite prospect of studying at prestigious international universities such as Oxford, or obtaining a Ph.D at an early age generally tend to have enormous aptitude academically, and such threads which portray these counter-productive implecations doesn't help one's perception of his chances of realising his ambitious goals.

PS: Note the question mark in the sig? That means I didn't state karn as a Clansman, but as a speculation only.

nah that's not part of my ambitions
my ultimate is still the phd :)

im just curious cos i hear of these people getting into ivy league's after first year and knowing some, they weren't all "geniuses". Just wanted to know of the procedure of getting in :)
Again mate, good luck on your studies. I might be sounding very pessimistic on this matter, but believe me I'm simply trying to express my sincere opinion on this, although it may sound slightly negative. :)

Actually JKD, im starting to see where you're coming from.
Its about all those threads I started, e.g. BSc in 2 years, the one on a PhD, Actuarial etc
Look, im not crazy, I know my limits. Sif i can get a BSc in 2 yrs.. even if I miraculously could, im not willing to give up my social life. As for this one, getting into ivy league uni's, I just wanted to see what was involved. And having no extracurricular activities, I know i have a 0% chance of success anyway. + I know my academic ability probably isnt good enough if they solely look at that.

And finally, the phd by 25... that's not very ambitious I dont think. Sure, there's a good chance Ill fail or my plans will change during my uni days, but I see that goal as within many ppl's reach.

So really, I'm not dreaming :)
But even if I am, theres nothing wrong with it.
If i bite off more than i could chew, I fall, i fail, its my pain.
That won't happen yet though... my "goals" are still quite humble :)
Well, I'm glad you're not dreaming. I'm just trying to convey the idea that it's very important to set realistic goals, because in year 12 I set out very unrealistic ones, which only resulted in bitter dissappointment. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)