Interpretations/Readings vs. Productions (1 Viewer)

MJHA89

HSC
Earlier this year, our English class was given an assignment in which we had to study two readings on a given topic. Although many students simply took their topic, hired out a couple of movies and ran with it, my teacher told me that I could also simply do an A vs B approach (ie. my topic was Madness/Loss of Control - so, my two readings were that Lear was mad from the play's onset, and alternatively that Lear simply became emotionally traumatised and that this was the cause of his apparent madness). I ended up doing fairly well in this task. With the trial exam in two days, I'm now studying the Christian and the Marxist readings of the play.

My question is, for the HSC exam later on this year, must we have examples (ie. productions) of a given interpretation of the play, or can I simply discuss what gives these readings textual integrity?

frankyd

starlight woo!
HSC
you are right with your two different readings.. although you may be asked for your OWN reading.

if this comes up.. simply adopt a certain reading (ie. marxist) as your own, or indicate that your interpretation reflects that of a marxist reading.

and yes you definately need production references to support these readings... but don't make the mistake of only focusing on these productions and their dramatic techniques

a tip...
structure it like;
- concept
- example / textual reference with technique where possible/relevant
- occasional production references which support these techniques/textual references

btw a good one for marxist is kozintsevs and for christian redemptive i heard that Richard eyre's is good and you could also look at ron haddricks and peter brooks could work with your concept of madness etc

goodluck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)