• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Ireland is named 'best country' (1 Viewer)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Ireland is the best place to live in the world, according to a "quality of life" assessment by Economist magazine.

The country's combination of increasing wealth and traditional values gives it the conditions most likely to make its people happy, the survey found.

Researchers took into account not just income, but other factors considered important to people's satisfaction and well-being.

They included health, freedom, unemployment, family life, climate, political stability and security, gender equality and family and community life.

The Economist said: "Ireland wins because it successfully combines the most desirable elements of the new, such as low unemployment and political liberties, with the preservation of certain cosy elements of the old, such as stable family and community life."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4020523.stm
We didn't do too badly; we're sixth, and the only non-European country among the top 10. The US is way below us, not to mention the UK: "The USA languished in 13th, while Britain was 29th - the lowest of the pre-expansion EU nations."

'TOP TEN COUNTRIES'
1 Ireland
2 Switzerland
3 Norway
4 Luxembourg
5 Sweden
6 Australia
7 Iceland
8 Italy
9 Denmark
10 Spain

Compare these results with the UN's 12th annual Human Development Report (released back in 2002). The report ranks countries by quality of life, based largely on life expectancy, education and personal incomes: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/2149195.stm#table

superbird

HSC
yep least we're in the top 10. we ain't doing too bad :p
as for ireland, must be because of guinness

ohne

HSC
superbird said:
yep least we're in the top 10. we ain't doing too bad :p
as for ireland, must be because of guinness
well....Guiness is actually owned by a British London based company called Deageo but it doesn't matter too much

Ziff

HSC
N/A
So Norway has beat Australia AGAIN!!!

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
I couldn't live in Switzerland or Norway... too cold. They should factor climate in there as well... surely Australia would be in the top 4 then :p

Lorie

HSC
well they are ranked number 1 on the globalisation index. They have bans on smoking on certain days of the weeks. They have alot of international businesses there, Harvey norman is there. The things there are a hell of alot cheaper then England and the added bonus of guinness is always good.

HSC
ireland number one? oh man, i am so glad ive finished school.

there was this girl there who's mum was irish and man, she always had something to say about it. every time we talked about anything in economics "well in ireland they blah blah blah". thank god.

anyway, number 6 eh, wooooooooooooo we're number 6!

santaslayer

HSC
Hmmm...i wanna live in Norway...

Most Western countries win things like these...

try compiling a list of 'the most violations on human rights'....i reckon all Asian countries would win hands down...:p

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
Very cold in Ireland, and it snows - but........ I seriously want to live in Ireland one day, especially after hearing a mate talk about how great it was when she stayed there. :D

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
i remember when the brits killed irish protestors. ahhh....good times

Scanorama

HSC
According to the survey done by the United Nations every year, the top 3 countires to live in are: 1. Norway; 2. Sweden; 3. Australia.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)