is 80 WAM acheivable in commerce first year??? (1 Viewer)

skye_studies

HSC
Essentially, I already know that is it highly unlikely for me to get into Law/Commerce at UNSW straight away, so my plan was to do Commerce next year and then internal transfer into the dual degree after the first year. (My LAT wasn't what I hoped for)
I've been getting mixed responses about how hard it actually is to obtain the WAM to IPT (over 75, but more like 79+)

So for those who have done/are doing a Bachelor of Commerce and got a WAM of 80+, how much did you study, etc? For the record, I am the type of student that does relatively decently without much study and I studied a commerce-related subject for hsc, but navigating uni and a Commerce degree may be different...

I'm just terrified of not making internal transfer, so I guess im just trying to allay my fears a bit.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Sitting on an 80+ WAM without really studying that much. Thats at mq, idk how different unsw difficulty is.

D94

HSC
N/A
Sitting on an 80+ WAM without really studying that much. Thats at mq, idk how different unsw difficulty is.
80 in Commerce at UNSW is just outside of the top 5% in later years. In earlier years, it's probably the top 15%.

SuperAltastic

HSC
Yes it is I, and it all comes down to what subjects you do. For examples certain ones like mgmt1001 mark really harsh and people get like 51 to just pass. I am on a 80 wam but I also did the science subjects that were medium hard but not too much. If you really had to put hours to it you need to consider some stuff.

1. Are you going to go to ALL the lectures and stay on top of them?
2. Are you going to work ahead and continuously revise?

If 1 and 2 are yes than you will be on track to the 80 plus for sure but as I said it also depends on the subjects you pick if you want some subjects when you enrol just post here or ask the UNSW subject reviews page.

captainneuro

HSC
Yes it is I, and it all comes down to what subjects you do. For examples certain ones like mgmt1001 mark really harsh and people get like 51 to just pass. I am on a 80 wam but I also did the science subjects that were medium hard but not too much. If you really had to put hours to it you need to consider some stuff.

1. Are you going to go to ALL the lectures and stay on top of them?
2. Are you going to work ahead and continuously revise?

If 1 and 2 are yes than you will be on track to the 80 plus for sure but as I said it also depends on the subjects you pick if you want some subjects when you enrol just post here or ask the UNSW subject reviews page.
For Q1, i'd probs prefer (and end up) watching lectures from home (if they are recorded) at my own pace. Thinking that would be more effective

aoc

HSC
i didnt attend lectures and watched them online for the same reason you mentioned (they go too fast for me to understand what theyre saying) but besides that youll realise quickly for some commerce subjects its all textbook work and no lectures need to be watched anyways. But yes 80 wam is achievable with moderate effort

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Definitely achievable but you need to be committed and motivated to get it....

At least from my own experience, your attitudes towards striving for high marks definitely changes once you're in uni and you do run the risk of complacency/laziness.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
80 wam in UNSW comm is relatively easy. Top 5% of such a massive commerce cohort isn't too difficult for anyone who studies and takes university seriously.

andrew12678

HSC
80 wam in UNSW comm is relatively easy. Top 5% of such a massive commerce cohort isn't too difficult for anyone who studies and takes university seriously.
Seconded. I don't do BCom but from what I know it's pretty achievable

D94

HSC
N/A
Implying only the top 5% study and take university seriously...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)