is a 90+ atar possible? (1 Viewer)

Isabellazuke

HSC
Hello everyone I'm super stressed about my results and I wanted to ask if a 90+ atar is possible considering my situation. I have taken my 3 school assignments for business and legal and these were my overall grades as a percentage:

Legal studies: 77%
Business: 75.5%

Overall the classes I'm taking are:

Advanced English - ranked 1st ( band 6 )
Legal studies - ranked 1st ( band 4 )
Business studies - ranked 3rd ( band 4 )
Physics - ranked 2nd ( band 6 )
Standard mathematics 2 - ranked 2nd ( band 5 )
Kitchen operations hospitality - no ranks

Despite these grades, I am doing well in all my other classes but I am freaking out. In year 11 I got close to 100% in everything and even came first in my year but I began to struggle mentally at the start of this year and my grades dropped significantly in all my classes ( i messed up 1 of the 3 assignments for legal and business within this time ). Now with trials coming up soon, I'm worried that i won't be able to recover from this situation. Can my trail results move up my rank and potentially boost that grade significantly before it is sent off to nesa? Also with these results would it be possible to receive a 90+ atar. It feels like all my work has gone to waste because of one mistake. Realistically, can I recover and do well?

Thanks in advance :)

quickoats

HSC
Look, you seem kind of defeated so the best advice I can give you is try your absolute hardest (within reason). If you go in with a mentality that "I can do it!," even if you fall short, you can 100% say that you tried your hardest. There's no point in dwelling on your previous grades - the past is the past you can't change that. Sometimes it's best just to think with a fresh mindset.

Also, we can't really give a good prediction without your school ranks and cohort sizes. If you could provide us with that information, someone on here might be able to give you an estimate as to what to aim towards.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't stress! You are currently in a very good position given how good your ranks are!

In terms of marks, you are definitely on track for a 90+ ATAR in terms of English Advanced, Physics and Mathematics Standard. Although your ranks are what matters internally (again your ranks are great!), you should work on improving your mark in Business Studies and Legal Studies because marks in the band 4 region can become a problem at the HSC exam (mainly because the HSC exam is worth 50%) and may possibly prevent you from reaching your desired ATAR. Since you still have your trial exams, make sure you study harder for business and legal so you can be more prepared and hopefully achieve higher marks. This also applies to the HSC exam.

In terms of your other subjects, make sure you maintain your good performance as that will consequently allow you to maintain your high ranks, which results in a higher chance of a 90+ ATAR.

Don't worry, your work has definitely not gone to waste. I wouldn't say you can "recover", because that wouldn't be an accurate description of your situation. "Recovering" would be an exaggeration as someone like yourself only needs to improve in a couple of subjects, so your situation is nowhere near as bad as you think. As mentioned above, it would be good to get some information about your cohort size, school rank etc.

Do not hesitate to ask subject-specific (particularly business and legal) questions on this website if needed. There are plenty of knowledgeable people on here who can assist you.

All the best! 😄

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
jonhysmitw2 said:
My current estimated atar is 85, is it possible to get 90+ this late into the year, I did my last internals before trials and didn't do extremely well (70-80%).
Yes, it is definitely still possible to achieve a 90+ ATAR at this stage. You still have your trial exams, which constitute a good opportunity for you to perform well, allowing you to improve your rank in each of your subjects and consequently maximising your Assessment Mark. Of course, favourable performance requires good preparation. Because of this, it is important to make the most use of the time that you have left to prepare for your trial exams to the best of your abilities, including seeking clarification regarding areas of improvement where needed (you may wish to consider doing this given your previous marks).

You should also not overlook the importance of your HSC exams. The fact that they contribute the remaining 50% of your overall HSC marks for your subjects makes them a great opportunity for you to perform at a higher standard and maximise your chances of achieving a 90+ ATAR. The good thing about trial exams is that they provide you with an idea of what you can expect in terms of your HSC exams at a significantly lower weighting than your HSC exams. This means that, following your trial exams, you will be able to optimise your study strategy/method in preparation for your HSC exams.

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)