• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is Accounting just for the young? (1 Viewer)

onemind

HSC
Hi,

Just wondring if there were any accounting student here. Would you say most accounting students are school leavers?

I am considering majoring in accounting as a mature age stufent (24) but am wondering if it is a waste of time. Do employers typically look for younger people togrrom for their firm?

Sorry if its a lame question, just trying to get a better idea of this profession :)

Cheers

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Employers look for undergraduates for entry level positions. To the best of my knowledge, they will never know your age until you are filling out forms after being recruited. It is illegal to discriminate on the basis of age when looking for employees.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
velox, some employers may see older candidates as trying to get promoted too quickly, rather than those that will stay with the company. this is why entry-level positions tend not to recruit MBA postgrads who do the MBA course straight after their undergrad course. The positions are there to be filled for a period of at least a few years. However, a 25 year old won't look much older than a 21 year old.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
The reason entry level positions dont accept MBA postgrads, is that you need work exp for an MBA, and no-one in their right mind would be going for an entry level position ;)

Most job ads always ask for mature :) and com.law grads who decide to go into accounting will be around 22-24 anyway

stazi

Nightman
HSC
you obviously haven't studied HR ;) the point of hiring someone into a company is to retain them for a long period of time. maturity doesn't equal staying in one place. people who are overqualified are typically looking for quick promotion. Also, I know of a few MBA students without any real work experience (apart from the odd job whilst doing their B Commerce). There are many ways to get around work experience requirements.

turtleface

HSC
onemind said:
Hi,

Just wondring if there were any accounting student here. Would you say most accounting students are school leavers?

I am considering majoring in accounting as a mature age stufent (24) but am wondering if it is a waste of time. Do employers typically look for younger people togrrom for their firm?

Sorry if its a lame question, just trying to get a better idea of this profession :)

Cheers
good news for you I know of some big 4 grads who are in their 30's (rare, but then again so are mature students, so I'd say the odds are ok). Smaller firms are abundant with older people

You will be judged on your other attributes besides your age. Also it is not age per se that is unattractive, it is the "closed mind" or unwillingness to change how you do things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)