• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is anyone a dance teacher? (1 Viewer)

chardie2

Just wondering if anyone on the forum is a dance teacher or teaches dance classes casually?

I have danced since I was three years old and seeing as I want to start my own dancing school in the future I want to start teaching casually to get ideas etc.

Please let me know if this is your occupation.

Thanks, Charde.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
It's not my occupation, however I know a fair bit about it. You need to be a fairly high standard to teach dance. Are you classically trained? Have you done exams and to what level?

The best way to get a job for starters would be to ask at your own dance school if they would be willing to let you teach a few classes. You will find most dance schools are unwilling to hire an unexperienced teacher who dances at another school.

So talk to your dance teacher about it, it is probably the best place to start. If you want to make dance your career, there are a variety of courses at uni and tafe you can do, or you could also do a full time dance course at a private dance college e.g. brent st. UNSW has a dance/teaching course, box hill tafe in melbourne has a dance teaching course, QUT has one, also Deakin in Melb and there are a few others. Also WAAPA and NIDA have dance courses.

Schools like ED5, brent st, and some other more professional schools have full time dance courses that would also put you on the path to making dance your career.

cayte

NIDA hasn't got a dance course, NIDA's is a movement course. It's pretty different. A girl from my work teaches casually and tries to make a living professionally, but it's a hard way to earn a crust. But I agree, try your studio first if you haven't already. Most studios tend to use their senior students as teachers or at least assistant teachers for their junior groups.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)