Is Chemistry a follow on? (1 Viewer)

DebuOfCourse

Hi.

I've heard quite a bit that Physics and other science subjects don't follow on too much from the preliminary course.
I have heard that Chemistry does.

Is this true?

To do well in Chem year 12, do you definitely need a good understanding of the preliminary course? Cause I came late to year 11 this year and I've found Chem the hardest subject to catch up on, partially because my year 10 school's science sylabus was shit as anything!.

Now I'm worried like crazy! :(

If I don't get absolutely everything in Chem preliminary, am I pretty much screwed for next year?

Thanks

pEACe

Dev

B!gMaC

Hi there,

I think chemistry in the Prelim course follows onto the HSC course to SOME extent, it is still quiet different, but some general knowledge, eg. solubility rules, reactivity series, and other things we touched upon in Prelim it would help if you have these assumed knowledge already, but I'm sure you will do fine!!! Personally, I find the HSC course much easier to understand than the Prelim!!!

DebuOfCourse

That is quite a surprisingly pleasant and pleasantly surprising thing to hear!!

It makes me very happy cause I have really not been doing well this year.... I adapt to Chemistry well otherwise, but this year I had some personal circumstances which delayed me in preparing properly for my half yearlys....so my average is pretty bad.....

Thanks for the response.

pEACe

Dev

EXA BOY

nope chem doesnt follow on, my yr 11 teacher had no idea and now we r doing well in yr 12 chem

bilal

well.. the prelim course sets the basis.. its simple i think...
most of the things, in the hsc course are related to the prelim course..
if u want. i can give u a million examples..
ill post them up...

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
You can improve in yr 12, no probs.

New concepts, revises old if having probs.

Do remember, however, yr 11 can be tested in HSC!!!

kini mini

HSC
For me, year 11 was revision of everything I'd done in chem since year 7 with a slightly more detailed explanation for everything. But as it's theoretically examinable in the HSC it's be good to know it fairly well :)

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
Make sure you know about moles and calculating stuff regarding chemical equations in the Yr11 course of Chemistry because these are probably the most ESSENTIAL things in Yr12 Chemistry. Make sure you can balance chemical equations too as this is important too. Knowledge of chemical bonding (covalent, ionic etc) and molecular structure is quite important as well for Yr12 Chemistry. Apart from that there's not too much else to worry about.

luigi

***LouLou***
HSC
you just need a basic understanding of the broad concepts so yr 12 can follow on from that

DebuOfCourse

Geez, so many contradicting opinions. I guess I will only REALLY find out for myself once the course starts.
For now, I'll take the more comfortable suggestions considering that I didn't do well at all in Chem, but I have developed a good basic understanding of the concepts from which to improve upon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)