Is it acceptable to... (1 Viewer)

Legham

HSC
I'm writing an essay for my english assessment task (due im tomorrow O_O) about how the perceptions of the journey is shaped in my related material and how it links to Huck Finn.
One of my pieces of related material is the song Hermod's Ride To Hel (Loke's Treachery Part 1) by Amon Amarth. Lyrics
As you can see, if you read the lyrics, the song has a lot of references to norse mythology, which the majority of people are not going to know much/anything about.

Anyway, my question is: Is it acceptable to bring in extra information that isn't explained in the text. For example, i know that Baldr is the god of innocence, beauty, joy, purity, and peace and he is also the son of Odin and Frigg. None of that is mentioned in the song, but it is a vital part of the journey i'm writing about. So is it ok to bring this kind of information into my essay?

Cheers in advance.

bored6

HSC
Legham said:
I'm writing an essay for my english assessment task (due im tomorrow O_O) about how the perceptions of the journey is shaped in my related material and how it links to Huck Finn.
One of my pieces of related material is the song Hermod's Ride To Hel (Loke's Treachery Part 1) by Amon Amarth. Lyrics
As you can see, if you read the lyrics, the song has a lot of references to norse mythology, which the majority of people are not going to know much/anything about.

Anyway, my question is: Is it acceptable to bring in extra information that isn't explained in the text. For example, i know that Baldr is the god of innocence, beauty, joy, purity, and peace and he is also the son of Odin and Frigg. None of that is mentioned in the song, but it is a vital part of the journey i'm writing about. So is it ok to bring this kind of information into my essay?

Cheers in advance.
I wouldn't see why not, if anything it displays that your more knowlegable to the markers but make sure its relevent to the question / your thesis.

Legham

HSC
Thanks. I agree. I just needed confirmation before i set out on writing an essay, incase i had to tear it all up and start again.

I just wrote the 500-700 word essay then, and word count tells me i have 1318 words :( and i was being brief!

bored6

HSC
Legham said:
Thanks. I agree. I just needed confirmation before i set out on writing an essay, incase i had to tear it all up and start again.

I just wrote the 500-700 word essay then, and word count tells me i have 1318 words :( and i was being brief!
Haha, the dreaded word count. I feel your pain.

HSC
bored6 said:
Haha, the dreaded word count. I feel your pain.
yeah, word counts are a bitch arent they. bored6 has being restricted many a time, and he usually only summarises.

hey al, i didnt have enough time for religion:) shit!
:santa:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)