• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

is it fair?are you smart?why do u care? (1 Viewer)

Seanskies

HSC
A quick area of thought, under you response to this post, tell me why you care about you HSC, and view other peopls reasons as to why they care.
in response to another thread; i think its called "how smart are you" or something, many people were throwing up different ideas about how smart they think they are.

i think students sometimes question the fairness of the HSC. it seems that if you are "smarter" its easier to do better. it seems unfair that when two people who put in the same amount of time and effort into their work do not always recieve the same results....

lets think about the idea of being "smart"
i think you are smart in year 12 if you work hard and efficiently. the HSC is designed to favour all people, not just those who are gifted. if you work, you can achieve better results than a smart kid who dosent work. A smart student will realise his natural abilitys compared to other peoples and will work as hard as he/she needs to rank first in their cohort. a naturally brilliant kid who sits on the couch is not necessarily smart, infact they are stupid, if they do not use their potential. i often see average kids beating many of the more gifted kids just beacuse they work more at home.

if you are naturally smart, and by that i mean you have a high IQ (130+), and you go to a resonable school and have a decent area to work at home, there is no reason as to why you cannot get a UAI of 95+

i want to keep it open for comments, but my 2 cents on the systems is this:
i think the HSC is fair.
you will get the mark you deserve.
how smart you are is shown through your results (which in the HSC is only obtained through hard work)
i dont know anyone who dosent work and receives good marks. if they claim they do i assure you they are lieing and have some self esteem issues.

goodluck all and thankyou for listening.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
seanskies said:
if you are naturally smart, and by that i mean you have a high IQ (130+), and you go to a resonable school and have a decent area to work at home, there is no reason as to why you cannot get a UAI of 95+
Only 95? Limit it up to 98+ if you are referring to those with 130+ IQs. I'm guessing I'm around 120 IQ, I go to a reasonable school, I have a decent area to work at home, but i wouldnt be happy with a 95. High standards, yes.

Do I care? Yes, I will be pWning your asses one day and I may buy your family. I want to know how those who will be wiping my ass like to think.

On the other note, the HSC I believe is fair, but I wont agree on the hard work bit. There are some smart fuckers who dont do any work (well, theyll get their homework done) out there and get extremely high UAIs.

Monstar

HSC
is IQ really a measurement of intelligence?..i was having the exact same conversation with someone a couple of weeks ago and he told me he had read somewhere that IQ isn't accurate and doesn't indicate much in terms of mental capacity.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Seanskies said:
i dont know anyone who dosent work and receives good marks. if they claim they do i assure you they are lieing and have some self esteem issues.
well one of my cousins who is an international student barely did anywork throughout the year and recieved a uai of 80+. this may seem low to you, but considering she had faced aspects such as language barriers, my grandma dying 2-3 weeks before her trial exams and her lack of effort i can say she did pretty well. if she did put in the effort, she would have recieved 90+ for sure.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
IQ is measure of reasoning and problem-solving and arithmetic.

Here's another stressed person.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Seanskies said:
i think students sometimes question the fairness of the HSC. it seems that if you are "smarter" its easier to do better. it seems unfair that when two people who put in the same amount of time and effort into their work do not always recieve the same results....

lets think about the idea of being "smart"
i think you are smart in year 12 if you work hard and efficiently. the HSC is designed to favour all people, not just those who are gifted. if you work, you can achieve better results than a smart kid who dosent work. A smart student will realise his natural abilitys compared to other peoples and will work as hard as he/she needs to rank first in their cohort. a naturally brilliant kid who sits on the couch is not necessarily smart, infact they are stupid, if they do not use their potential. i often see average kids beating many of the more gifted kids just beacuse they work more at home.

i want to keep it open for comments, but my 2 cents on the systems is this:
i think the HSC is fair.
you will get the mark you deserve.
how smart you are is shown through your results (which in the HSC is only obtained through hard work)
****lying!! :p ..there were a few other..things..but that one annoys me I'm sorry.

There are the rare few that exist who do not do anything above the min. amount of work but yet still achieve an excellent result. I envy those buggers.

I agree with you on hard work an efficiency as those are needed in this HSC.

"if you are naturally smart, and by that i mean you have a high IQ (130+), and you go to a resonable school and have a decent area to work at home, there is no reason as to why you cannot get a UAI of 95+"
You don't need a high IQ, I think even an average person could get a UAI 95+ in the HSC providing they worked efficiently enough and had the latter two options of a reasonable school and decent work area.

I think you are right in the sense that the HSC is fair, being half assessment and half examination thus catering for all kinds of achievement. I don't think though that your "smartness" or "intellect" ..meh
I'm going to watch TV and procrastinate for a few hours whilst maybe reading 5 of my texts...
bye.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)