• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is it hard surviving in canberra? (1 Viewer)

Kmahal1990

HSC
Hi i'm from sydney and i am thinking about doing a law course at ANU. Honestly i've looked forward to discovering things but have found myself living a little too comfortably for the last couple of years. The idea of discovering a new place and taking a step away from life as you know is sort of excites me, and i'd think i'd gain some sort of independence and self confidence from this. I'm just wondering has anyone else made the leap to go to ANU when you dont live there locally, what are your experiences and how do you survive? The fact is working, getting accomodation etc still frightens me. And whats the ANU employment like outside the public sector? Is the percentage of employment in better firms as good as say USYD or UNSW? Thanks it advance :)

Evilo

HSC
Hi there,
I moved out of syd for the same reason - sick of been "mothered", and i was bored with the lifestyle that was back in syd. Its been an awesome experience- has been a fantastic year (i was also excited about living by myself). They (the colleges) really make an effort for a smooth transition into your new surroundings. But if you're thinking otherwise - theres over 1500 kids who live interstate that stay on campus at ANU - so its not like you're the "odd one out". Its good in that respect because everyone has left their mates behind and is keen on making new ones. All the activities (especially in o-week) lead towards this. Everyone has mates - theres so many people from different backgrounds, who share different interests etc.

I'm at a catered college so i havent had any major troubles regarding food (organising to buy etc). However the independence thing takes place when you run out of shampoo etc (lol) cos you need to organise yourself to go buy it. It was a bit of a challenge when i needed to get an xray, but everything is nearby.

I would suggest living on campus for the 1st year (just to meet new people and get a good social atmosphere). but yeah - if you want a real challenge getting a share house and finding flatmates on your 1st time to ANU will challenge you.
I cant answer the last questions - sorry
Hope this helps
Evil-O

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Kmahal1990 said:
Is the percentage of employment in better firms as good as say USYD or UNSW? Thanks it advance :)
Anecdotally yes but statistically no. Graphs showing the employment of graduates are released yearly. While I can’t find any current ones, in law employment in the private sector is generally lower amongst ANU grads because around 25% of us end up in the public service as opposed to around 5% at UNSW. However, I’ve had friends do internships at Minters, Clayton, Blake Dawson, Freehills etc and I’ve also had friends graduate and work in those firms in Canberra, Sydney or Melbourne. A friend of mine got a job offer from Clayton at an awards presentation... heh. My point is that nothing is stopping you from getting into a Big 12 firm with an ANU law degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)