• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is it possible for me to state rank (4 Viewers)

Somehumanguy

HSC
For context I came 2nd or 3rd overall for my internals out of 40 students in a 200-ish ranked school which gets one state rank once in a blue moon once every few years or so, if I get 100 or 99 raw in math advanced hsc, do I potentially have a chance to state rank or are my chances gone because of my rank slipping below first, given my school usually has 10 band 6s in advanced math give or take every year.

igor9

HSC
nah mate u gotta be 1st in yo school, to even have a sliver of a chance brev

Demons

HSC
For context I came 2nd or 3rd overall for my internals out of 40 students in a 200-ish ranked school which gets one state rank once in a blue moon once every few years or so, if I get 100 or 99 raw in math advanced hsc, do I potentially have a chance to state rank or are my chances gone because of my rank slipping below first, given my school usually has 10 band 6s in advanced math give or take every year.
yea it basically is a pre-requisite to come first internally to even come close to state ranking in maths, because there's always like so many people that get raw 100's, so it's pretty much not possible, unless some sort of miracle occurs and the rest of the state does really bad, and you and the 2 people above you all pull off 100's, but that's not really gonna happen since you basically need to come first internally to come even the slightest chance to state rank.

Somehumanguy

HSC
yea it basically is a pre-requisite to come first internally to even come close to state ranking in maths, because there's always like so many people that get raw 100's, so it's pretty much not possible, unless some sort of miracle occurs and the rest of the state does really bad, and you and the 2 people above you all pull off 100's, but that's not really gonna happen since you basically need to come first internally to come even the slightest chance to state rank.
What if I get 100 raw in hsc with rank 2 in internals and rank 1 gets like a raw 98-100, does that help my chances the slightest in maybe getting a low state rank like maybe a 19 or 20.

Demons

HSC
What if I get 100 raw in hsc with rank 2 in internals and rank 1 gets like a raw 98-100, does that help my chances the slightest in maybe getting a low state rank like maybe a 19 or 20.
depends on how close you are to rank 1 internally, if you are like only a few decimal places away from rank 1 then it's possible but if you're anything above 2 or 3 marks away then it won't help to get the state rank.

EDIT: This is because of moderation and how it takes into account the mark differences between the ranks.

EDIT: it still won't help because state ranks consider the decimal place differences not entire marks, so rank 20 could be a person who got 99.5% on the HSC

Somehumanguy

HSC
depends on how close you are to rank 1 internally, if you are like only a few decimal places away from rank 1 then it's possible but if you're anything above 2 or 3 marks away then it won't help to get the state rank.

EDIT: This is because of moderation and how it takes into account the mark differences between the ranks.
Welp that’s tragic, rank 1 is some yr 11 acceleration kid who’s prolly gonna do 4u most likely so he probably doesn’t care ab getting 100 in 2u since it won’t go to his atar if he does 4u which I’m pretty confident he will😢.

igor9

HSC
Welp that’s tragic, rank 1 is some yr 11 acceleration kid who’s prolly gonna do 4u most likely so he probably doesn’t care ab getting 100 in 2u since it won’t go to his atar if he does 4u which I’m pretty confident he will😢.
rip bud but who cares bro u get the 99.95 atar contribution anyways

HSC

EDIT: it still won't help because state ranks consider the decimal place differences not entire marks, so rank 20 could be a person who got 99.5% on the HSC
wait so even if ur rank 1, u still have to make sure ur internal mark/grade is as high as possible??

Demons

HSC
wait so even if ur rank 1, u still have to make sure ur internal mark/grade is as high as possible??
Not if you are rank 1 since through the moderation process you will get the highest mark in your cohort as your assessment(internal mark), this means that you don't have to have the highest possible internal mark. You could be rank 1 with a overall mark of 90%, but if by some miracle(hard studying), you pull off a raw 100 in the exam, that means that both your internal mark and external hsc mark will be 100% which means that you will have a HSC mark of 100 putting you in a strong position for a state rank.

Main thing to note here is that you want to try distinguish yourself as a outlier if you go to a low rank school.

ShhQuietPlease

Co-founder @ Zeta Education
HSC
Uni Grad
I think rank 1 helps but its not a prerequisite. (Source: I was rank 3 doing accelerated 2U and got 5th in state).

I do get that you're worried that your school might drag you down. I'd just say that its out of your control and as long as you try your hardest, you can make it :)

HSC
Not if you are rank 1 since through the moderation process you will get the highest mark in your cohort as your assessment(internal mark), this means that you don't have to have the highest possible internal mark. You could be rank 1 with a overall mark of 90%, but if by some miracle(hard studying), you pull off a raw 100 in the exam, that means that both your internal mark and external hsc mark will be 100% which means that you will have a HSC mark of 100 putting you in a strong position for a state rank.

Main thing to note here is that you want to try distinguish yourself as a outlier if you go to a low rank school.
do yk how much of a difference is needed to be an outlier or is it just random?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)